How To Digital DJ Fast Online Video Course Now Available

It’s been a long time coming, but we’re proud to announce the public launch of How To Digital DJ Fast, our online video course designed to take absolute beginner digital DJs all the way to playing their first DJ gig in just four weeks.

I’ve explained all about it (and some more exciting stuff) in the video, so why not take a look? Then, feel free to find out more about the course – including full contents, feedback from other DJs and a special opening offer – by clicking this link: How To Digital DJ Fast Online Video Course.

Help choosing your next DJ controller

Today we’re also announcing our annual DJ controller round-up. Last year’s DJ Controllers: The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide has proved to be one of our most popular blog posts all year. For 2012, DJ Controllers: The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide has expanded to become a unique 162-page PDF covering over 60 controllers!

It’s got articles, comparison charts, photos, reviews, links and more, and will be available to everyone in time for the new year – but for details of how you can get a copy right now, watch the video!

Week by week, your free guide to DJing

And while we’re rounding up exciting ways to get more from Digital DJ Tips, you may have noticed the new, bright red “Free book and course” banner top right on this website. This is for our revamped weekly email list.

When you sign up, you receive two weekly emails, designed more than ever to help you learn to DJ better, and to help you to get the most out of both our content and all the great resources we find elsewhere on the web too. Plus there’s more free stuff when you join! So if you’re not already a member of this free list, why not sign up today?

Comments

1. scottherrington says:

Have you considered calling it the “Morse Code” instead?

2. Vinny Blanc says:

Can’t wait to pick this up when I get home from work.

This is exactly what I have been hungering for as a new digital DJ who is ready to invest in a digital setup. I often times find myself asking my self “How can I best use my time practicing/learning” and “Did I acutally get any better after this hour spent loading music and pressing buttons?” so this should be perfect.

P.S. Does the 2012 guide cover the NS6 Phil? I’d love to have your insight on this controller.

3. Bought the course when you pre launched earlier this year. Its fantastic!! Brought my skills from zero to understanding how how to dj within days!! Now just practice practice practice. 100 times better than reading a book on how to dj and 100s of times cheaper that going on an expensive tutor led courses. I would have started digital djing years ago if this had been around to quash my could not do fear. I was surprised to receive my controller guide today and i must say what a fantastic informative guide to help wade through the controller minefield. Would make a fantastic Christmas present for any budding dj to show them the way. Keep up the good work dj tips team!! You are a dj essential!! Kev

4. Christopher Pallotta says:

Im going to buy it once one my controller gets sorted out (new done dx left channel randomly drops out). I enjoyed the sample video on cue points. Detailed instructions and I really could see your passion on the subject, this is the real deal.

5. Just what we need more djs!
    Trouble is theres hardly any work out there and what work there is pays crap money.
    Too many Djs not enough gigs.
    Would love to see a video on how to turn around the mess that this industry is in and how to increase fees.
    I dont blame you Phil you have to make a living.

• Andy Taylor says:

I’m sure if you are a talented DJ you will always be able to get good work as people will want you over the other DJ’s! You just have to show that your better than the rest.

• James Pieaterson says:

I was thinking about making DJing a paying job but like people say, the money isn’t there as others will undercut or do it free.

I’m going to do this just for fun and keep my day job.

I do a radio show online and there may be charity festivals coming up that would require non-paid DJs, so it’s no big deal and I’ll have a blast doing it.

PASSION FIRST, MONEY LATER!

• DJing is something you can do as a hobby or professionally though. But even if you do it as a hobby, you should do it in front of other people, because that’s where DJing happens.

Just like you don’t need to be a professional sportsperson to do sports, you don’t have to be paid to be a DJ – there are plenty of parties you can DJ at (or organise) where it’s done for the love of it.

The DJ industry does not appear to be a mess to new, young DJs because they don’t know any different so they’ll give it their all and make good stuff happen.

• riddimchef says:

-By the way, I do this because I love it and want to share what I know, not because I think it’s not what’s needed but I have to make a living. Everyone who wants to DJ deserves the right to do so, and I want to help anyone I can, as much as I can.

Spot on Phil!! You’re doing a fantastic job. Djing is not about elitism, like any other craft it needs mentors to keep it alive and share their skills and knowledge. Thanx

6. I can’t recommend this course highly enough, even to guys like me who have been DJing for decades. But if you’re new to the art (and it is an art, not a skill), this course is a must.

7. I love what your doing here Phil. Your offering a great service and being very up front about what one should expect to learn from it. I’ve looked into other online courses and the majority of them are very overpriced and slightly vague on exactly what they will be covering.

With the great influx of “up-and-coming” DJs this would be an ideal start. Thank you for not doing what every other site does and charge outlandish prices for a DVD with videos on it, ala Lynda.com.

I hope this part of the site works out very well for you. If I have any friends looking to get started this will be one of the first places I send them to. Keep up the good work.

8. Why Fast?

• The fastest way to DJ is to get in front of an audience. This course gives you what you need to know (and nothing more) to get your first gig fast – in as few as four weeks. That single experience will teach you more than any expensive tuition or 6 months of bedroom practice. To sum up:

LEARN ONLY ESSENTIAL SKILLS > PLAY FIRST GIG > REALISE WHAT YOU NEED TO WORK ON MORE

This course gets 1 and 2 done for you, and by that point you’ll know where to apply your efforts to continue improving rapidly. And it works – you can read the testimonials from the students who took the course 6-8 weeks ago in the sales page.

9. I love this course, I love the first episodes. Just one suggestion. As a good place to discover and listen to music, I strongly recommend Grooveshark: it’s available everywhere, its subscription is way less expensive as Spotify’s and their catalog seems way wider, especially in electro.

10. Hi Phil,

I’m a beginner at the art of deejaying and I started to have class with a old school DJ here in Brazil, which has been great so far. But I was feeling that I need some advices from someone who is more into the digital dj, and finally bumped on Digital DJ Tips. I’m starting with the Virtual DJ Pro and a Numark Total Control controller, unfortunately I just saw your review after I bought it!

I have already bought the course and I’m loving it so far, the videos are simple and comprehensive.

I just would like to give you a piece of advice if I may. You should think that some of your audience is from abroad and non native English speakers, so sometimes it is hard to understand some names, websites, controllers brands and so on. What I suggest is that you place some characters (like you do in the beginning and ending of each video) pointing out the main things you’re saying like I said: websites, urls and etc.

Thanks a lot for the help to beginners like me!

Best regards from Brazil,

Ricardo

• That’s great advice. I have become aware how “global” the site has become and am thinking hard about how to make things clearer fro our English-as-a-second-language members.

11. Spruce Moose says:

I actually cannot believe what I’m reading/seeing here! Play your first gig!. Guys if you are an absolute beginner practice, practice and more practice, you will know when your ready. Four weeks of training with Carl Cox isn’t going to get you club ready. This is what’s wrong with music today! for Fsake.

I am a beginner, I have only been djing and producing for 3 -4 years but I still class myself as a beginner. I learnt digital djing first and am now learning to play and feel the plastic (Vinyl), it’s honestly the best move I’ve ever made and is helping me become a better “digital Dj”. I did it backwards as you all probably will too, if I had my time again I’d go back and start with Vinyl, learn my music inside out, just like the old timers tell you. I’d take 12 months to learn how to help two records make love, I’d master the art of ‘getting your groove on’ Then I’d move to CD’s and destroy some que points, mash shit up. I hate to be captain obvious here but anyone with great “Digital Dj Skills” has had this grounding in some way shape or form.

Guys let me tell you this : You CAN learn more from 6 months in the bedroom than a four week course, it’s called the internet, books, video’s, going to clubs and bars and more importantly FIND A MATE enoy the shit out of each other for 6 months, jesus even my girlfriend mixes with me “How to Dj (properly) the book, one of the greatest tools of all time for a DJ!

Despite what you read on sites like this about it being ok to hit the sync button and Analogue being on the way out etc, etc. It’s not !! I know, I have a regular gig at a popular night club in Australia, it’s competitive, knowing how to beat match, mix, phrase (something I have never even heard mentioned on this site) it all matters. These are things you cannot learn in 4 weeks!

Ok let me just stop here for a minute because I can feel Mr Morses glare, he’s going to be saying right about now we are only “TEACHING ESSENTIALS” and helping you “REALISE WHAT YOU NEED TO WORK ON MORE” and thats fine BUT FOR FAAARK SAKE don’t claim to get these people club / bar ready in 4 weeks it WONT. People don’t need to throw them selves in that deep. Why don’t we just manufacture DJ’s like we do with Pop Artist’s ?!

I’m not going to spend the next 30 min telling this site how I’m not knocking what your doing and think that your ideas are good etc, etc. All I want to conclude with is this : To many things in this world are rushed, the love of a quick buck is taking over, people do yourself a favor and work it out for yourselves, have some pride, make sure your ready because your only going to get burnt.

At the end of the day do what you want, take the course, chances are you’ll probably get a gig and wind up in one of those clubs that DDtips is always telling you about, the one where it’s all about what tracks you select and not how you mix them or beat match them. Chances are you’ll probably do it for awhile and be successful but I guarantee you this there’s always going to be someone that has taken the time to do it properly waiting to take your spot.

Keep it real, be real

The Voice of Reason

• Thanks for your comments! Far from glaring at you, I am truly eager to answer your misgivings. It might be a long post though! :)

Firstly, I think you misunderstand what this course is trying to do (and indeed what this site is trying to do). Take some time to dig and you’ll find articles here about why manual beatmatching is important, about how to phrase match, and myriad other universal DJing skills. The clue’s in the subhead: “How To DJ Properly With Portable Digital DJ Gear”. The course absolutely carries on that “teach the skills properly” ethos.

We believe that our readers – genuine music fanatics who want to become DJs or become better DJs – have every right to do so, and we exist to encourage their dreams. I have enjoyed a long, successful, profitable career in pro club DJing and promoting, latterly with digital, so I teach from first-hand experience. I want to show young (and not so young) budding digital DJs that despite what anyone tells them, it IS possible and there IS a route to doing it that works.

It upsets me so much when people contact me saying they are despondent or frustrated, that they keep buying different gear and trying different things but they can’t get their DJing together, that they can’t find how to improve, that they want to succeed at it more than anything but are completely stuck, or that so many people are telling them different things that they don’t know who’s right and who’s wrong. They have every right to feel upset at their perceived failure to progress.

But these DJs are not failures, they’re not phonies or fakes, and they are absolutely not any “worse” than the DJs who came before them with vinyl or CDs. They just need some mentoring and guidance – and to get over their fears and play in front of real audiences!

I’m not going to get into the “is digital valid?” debate here, because I have no need to. If it wasn’t, we wouldn’t have lasted very long, plus I don’t feel any inferiority as a digital DJ, nor do the thousands of successful digital DJs in our community – but many of our beginner readers DO feel the glare of the “old school” on them. That’s why day by day we make it our mission to show them that their fears are unfounded, and they can do this!

Many of our readers suspect that the reason the “old school” are discouraging them by telling them they have to practise for years and if they don’t manually beatmatch with vinyl they’re not real DJs, is not because it’s true, but because these people are frustrated and jealous about how easy it is to cover the basics nowadays.

Many of our readers suspect that because it is now easy to sync two records digitally (and that so many DJs are doing just that and only that and calling themselves “DJs”), that the old school guys are actually lumping the genuine digital DJs in with the pretenders. Our readers – ardent music fans, committed clubbers, ambassadors for the scenes they are in – resent being told that just because they have absolutely no interest in vinyl or CDs, they are not nor will ever be “real DJs”.

So to our course. What it does is 100% upfront clear: It teaches you the absolute minimum you need to know to play one gig in public. Not a super club, or a hugely paid gig, or a festival, but one first gig in public – a bar, or a birthday party, or a BBQ, or a pool party, or a housewarming – or a happening you’ve thrown yourself just to get that first gig under your belt.

Why? Because DJing is done in public! It is not done behind closed doors. It is an interaction between DJ and crowd. It is a communal thing. And once you’ve done that, your path to learning will become abundantly clear. And you’ll already be ahead of the majority of people who buy digital gear and NEVER play in public.

So here is where we disagree, my friend: I absolutely attest that it is indeed possible to learn more by practising like a demon for a month with some quality tuition, then getting that one gig under your belt, than in six months of twiddling around dreaming in your room.

I completely defend and welcome your right to disagree with me, but please don’t get all judgmental and start telling us that what we’re doing here is wrong or that it can’t work. We have bucketloads of proof that it does, starting with my own personal DJing career and continuing with the delighted feedback this blog and course has from hundreds of valued readers and subscribers, all of whom we are thrilled to have had a hand in teaching.

• And breath, Phil!!

Its about time for a song…

We are the oldschool, that’s the new
        We stay right here as we come through
        We are the high, that’s the low
        We keep it real at every show
        We are the future, that’s the past
        We are the moment built to last
        We are the up, that’s the down
        We wear the newschool engine crown

• Oops: that links for the German language version- That will teach me to listen before posting!

• There is some merit in both of your arguments…I’ll give my 2 cents on the matter. Can you reach superstar DJ status in 4 weeks? No. Can you get your way through a set at your mates birthday party? Yes.
        Things have come such a long way. I learnt on vinyl, made the switch to CDs, used DVS via both mediums for a while and have just now quite recently made the switch to digital. I’ve got my laptop and an Kontrol S4. What really drew me in was the world that opens up to you with cool little things such as cue jumps, looping, multi layering effects and not having to stress about running 4 decks in the club when I probably shouldn’t have had so many rums. Watch video’s by guys like Ean Golden, and you will see that DJing can be so much more than just mixing 2 tracks. You can remix or create whole new tracks, live! DJs are a dime a dozen and its a competitive world so you gotta be doing something different to get ahead. I think a lot of the vinyl purists are just scared deep down that a 15 year old kid with a laptop could replace them. But you know what…a sync button isnt going to get them any further ahead. Its about the music and how you mix it and the energy it gives the dancefloor…this ultimately comes from experience and knowledge. I’ve been to plenty of house parties with some clown in the corner trainwrecking every mix cause he’s just got his 1st pair of Technics (or cheap equivalent) and hasnt got there yet with his mixing. You will walk in to parties these days and see the chumps younger brother doing these muddy 10 track mixes that may be in sync but sound just as awful and flacid-inducing. Nothing has changed in that respect…there will always be the guy who is so eager that he hasnt even got the basics down yet.
        I do think its beneficial to have skills across the board of equipment as it will improve your all round DJing abilities + will be useful at situations such as the changeover at the club. I’ve played at several establishments where they do not want the music stopping even for a second. Sorry guys no dramatic and/or cheesey intro drops here!
        I commend Phil on his terrific and informative blog. Being able to mix well takes hours upon hours, years upon years of practise (and I don’t believe Phil is saying otherwise); but it doesnt hurt to have someone help you out and show you the ropes. I remember when I was just learning and a friend showed me a technique that fast tracked my beatmatching 10 fold. I remember thinking that I was glad he told me or it would’ve taken so much longer to learn! Plus its about learning the right way from the beginning! Phil is laying the foundation…what you do with it is up to you.
        Just to be cheeky, I will mention that basically every big player in the digital DJ field, started off spinning vinyl or CD. These guys have had the years of experience to be the best in their craft. The bottom line is its experience that will get you to the top. What medium you use is unimportant as long as when it comes to crunch time, you make sonic magic! If its fun to mix and fun to dance to…nothing else matter!

• One of the biggest challenges of providing effective DJ training nowadays is knowing what to teach new digital DJs from the knowledge we gained in the vinyl and CD days, and what doesn’t really matter.

It’s something we spend a lot of time debating, and for instance, we still believe manual beatmatching is important to learn, which is why we approach beatmatching in all our training with manual as the first lesson.

• “At the end of the day do what you want, take the course, chances are you’ll probably get a gig and wind up in one of those clubs that DDtips is always telling you about, the one where it’s all about what tracks you select and not how you mix them or beat match them.”

It’s about what tunes you play first. Number one priority. Mixing is great too but if you had to choose between them, it’s an easy choice.

• Here’s my viewpoint:

The “internet, books, video’s”, “FIND A MATE”, and even the mention of “How to Dj (properly)”…that’s what you get out of this course. When I started DJing back in 1992, I was CLUELESS on what I was supposed to do. Even after several months, I still was clueless. I’m thankful I had a friend who taught me what I was supposed to do. What beatmatching is, what phrase matching is.

Phil is basically being the “mate” for many out there who seriously don’t have a DJ buddy to learn from or with. This is even what pushes me to write those articles that I wrote. I spent how long on message boards trying to help these kids learn the respectful way to look at this…and I do it here as well hopefully to build these kids into something more than just douchebags doing Jesus poses to a breakdown. I especially hope I can help them not make the mistakes I’ve made.

This course is what you got out of those internet searches, youtube videos, and the How to DJ (Properly) book. It’s in one nice package for an affordable price…taught by a DJ who’s done it all.

PLUS I like that he’s not some biased old schooler living in the past. I’m an old schooler too…but I will never understand this idea that somehow vinyl and antiquated tech has to stay. Record shops are vanishing. Midi controllers are widespread, and even some venues now aren’t going to bother stocking turntables. I get a bigger laugh out of the guys who still drag their 1200s everywhere to play 60-min sets for $50.

In my life, I will wake up one day and find turntables gone from the normal club and mobile realms. I’ll see clubs stocked with CDJs and space/hookups for midi…but no turntables. Audiences really don’t care either if the DJ is on vinyl, CD, or midi. They don’t care if he presses sync. They care only about what comes out of the speakers. Good programmers and creative producers will get the gold. The guys living in the past on beatmatching alone will die.

I love this new age. I love that I can intall Mixxx on my computer at work and plan out sets to record in my off time. I liked how I could record a mix on my Thinkpad in my office with a simple X-Session Pro. I love that I’m not tied down to all this heavy equipment and can even go DJ with just my laptop in a bag, a few cables, and my Xponent under my arm.

The only past I hold on to is the music…not the medium. I agree with Phil and still push that every DJ should know how to manually beatmatch…but I will push things like the video course and this site because it’s DJs helping DJs. It’s old schoolers like Phil and I handing the next generation the torch…helping them grow faster than we could in our respective pasts.

12. Keep it up with the “DJing only matters infront of a crowd” and watch the fans run away faster then you can say “supfresh?”
    Ive said it before and aparantly it needs to be said again, I dont care where I make my music, I do it for me and enjoy it to the max.
    Telling guy above me to stop being judgemental is just hillarious imo cause it is exactly what you are doing. Just because you seem to have the impression DJing is about the crowd etc etc, doesnt make you right. It is what it is, your opinion, and again, you shuving it down your blogs audience’ throat is getting old and offending. Just be aware how huge an amount of your adience is a bedroom DJ, with no intention of becomming anything else. If this blog isnt for them; carry on, if not, you may wanna listen to whats being said over and over.
    DJing is for fun, no matter where you get that from.

• Inzo, seriously man, if this blog offends you I’m very sorry! But we are what we are, and to us DJing is about playing in front of other people – we make no apologies for that viewpoint and will continue to stress its importance.

13. Phil I think you have mis interpreted what the dude above is saying, he’s not a ‘Vinyl or CD’ purest but started out digital and wishes he hadn’t. I too agree with Inzo about you having the double standards. The way I read this is ‘Your first gig’ I never classed my first gig as a BBQ or Pool Party. It was a Bar and a very Busy one at that. I agree with ‘live experience’ but I’m 100 percent with the above. 6 months in the Bedroom blows 4 weeks out if the water.

• And you have a right to agree with that! “In at the deep end” isn’t for everyone but it’s the way I teach and I believe for most people conquering their fears and getting real experience is the best way to learn. I actually agree with most of what he said – we also teach about the importance of mentors, DJing with friends, respecting your forefathers, being in it for the right reasons, learning musical theory so you can structure mixes properly, learning to DJ on equipment other than digital. What I resented was the guy insinuating that we’re only about churning out manufactured DJs and that we don’t teach the real skills. Hanging round here for just a short space of time would show him that that’s not the case.

14. Spruce Moose says:

I just want to start off by saying that I am seeing a humorous side to all of this, I guess the funny part is how convinced you actually are that your site is 100 percent truthful, additionally how rude you get. I have been a reader for a very long time but admittedly I do find a lot of your articles repetitive, misinformative and certainly not covering the whole scope. I have also witnessed you get frustrated with some of your forum respondents questioning there mannerisms (it’s a forum!). With that said you have my solum word that this is the last article I will read, I’ve taken up enough of my “time to dig” and I promise that If I ever do make it you’ll be the first to know.

For the record I did not say or insinuate : “that we’re only about churning out manufactured DJs and that we don’t teach the real skills.” I made an analogy to that of a ‘manufactured pop artist’ because they are shoved down the very (aural) throats of our kids airways, the same as you wanting to throw a 4 week student into a bar! I was also pointing out the fact that no matter what you choose to teach your students they will not be club ready in 4 weeks. Which brings me to my blatantly obvious second point, your course description. Can you please tell me where under your title it says “our online video course designed to take absolute beginner digital DJs all the way to playing their first birthday party, or a BBQ, or a pool party, or a housewarming – or a happening you’ve thrown yourself” Notice how I’ve excluded the “bar” as that was part of my argument, 4 weeks will not get you ready for a bar unless your playing at some dive down the road that’s probably best not to waste your time with. I’d also like to thank Derrick for pointing out that some of these shouldn’t really be classed as proper gig’s and we all know that’s what your marketing!!!

Moving on, I’m not saying anything about digital gear and “what to buy/not to buy”.

Ok so let’s talk about “fears” FYI.

“these people are frustrated and jealous about how easy it is to cover the basics nowadays.” Phil “Seriously man” “If you think that I’m very sorry!” like I said (and will second in the latter of this article) I started off as a digital DJ, I still am and I’m certainly NOT an old schooler, however a lot of my friends (and I) do have HUGE respect for them. They do not however have this mentality that your suggesting, what they hate is everything your trying to do with this course. My old school crew are dumbfounded when I show them software such as mixed in key (although some have that already hardwired in there head) they applaud software and tools alike that make a beginners life easier! Again however they are disgusted when they hear of some kid in a bar train-wrecking mixes or continually hitting sync, it’s noticeable to a lot of people and DOES matter!

Again! no one is saying anything about beat matching with vinyl and practicing for years is what will get you to the top as a “real DJ” your putting words in this forums mouth! What I (and apparently Derrick ) are saying is a 4 week course is NOT the equivalent of 6 months in the bedroom! and what Inzo is telling you is that “six months of twiddling around dreaming in your room.” is straight up rude and a complete lie! Do your students sleep over? is there 8 – 12 hours in each of those days? does the course run over weekends? Why do you have a picture of a guy standing in front of a festival crown pumping his hands in the air if this is for pool parties? oops sorry off topic

Once Again I never said digital Djing or any Djing was predominately for the bedroom why you choose to ! exclamation mark ! that it’s done in public is beyond me? that’s obvious! Where the hell do you get your statistics from just because some of your readers write to you and have trouble getting a gig in public doesn’t mean EVERYONE does.

In conclusion you say “I absolutely attest that it is indeed possible to learn more by practicing like a demon for a month with some quality tuition, then getting that one gig under your belt” And I say this: That’s great Phil because I absolutley detest that you are calling this quality tuition (in the way of what your claiming to achieve!) it’s not. I’m glad you think it’s working let me know if any of your student’s make it large without either A) Producing there own music or B) Learning just what you have taught them, I’ll eat my laptop!
    As for there first gig, sure they’ll get one somewhere and I honestly hope it works out for them! but who tf learns to walk before they crawl? In my experience it has been the long way around and that’s not because I didn’t take your course!

• Sorry, Spruce Moose, but I can’t please everyone all the time, and it’s clear I can’t please you.

As you find our articles “repetitive, misinformative and certainly not covering the whole scope” and you personally find me “rude”, and as you insinuate that I am a liar (“how convinced you actually are that your site is 100 percent truthful”) and as you “hate everything [I'm] trying to do with this course”, I am not going to spend any more time trying to convince you. It is clear we have a personality clash and I’m happy to accept that.

Thanks sincerely for your contributions, and please let’s leave it at that.

• Seriously, what is your problem? You’re giving Phil a hard time for what exactly? Trying to help people learn a skill? To quote a famous saying ‘There is more than one way to skin a cat’ and if you don’t like the way Phil has decided to teach people then fair enough but do not start running your mouth on the internet making him out to be some sort of crook. Please feel free to lock yourself in your bedroom for as long as you want and don’t come out for a while you silly moose.

• Thanks for your support Smess, but let’s none of us waste any more time here – it takes time away from producing new training materials (I’m working on a 52-week email course right now…)

15. Gee! It looks like Phil, and the scope of his website and courses are very misunderstood by some guys! I don’t think Phil ever implied that 4 weeks will make you a super star DJ. I don’t think this website sells out the notion that no hard work is needed. Surely, if you “isolate” phrases of artciles or some perhaps sentences written a bit fast you might, you MIGHT get that idea but gee, guys, honestly, by looking at the greater picture here, do you honestly think Phil is trying to convince beginners that no extra work is needed? As for the “first gig” part, I agree 100% with Phil. I write electronic music the for the last 10 years or so. Do you honestly think I couldnt beatmatch manually, sayyyy, the last 5 years? The truth remains, I only gained experience as a DJ when I got my first gig, and that was years ago so I do understand what Phil is trying to say here. Did I suck? Perhaps! Was I ready for a bar/club? Perhaps NOT! But it was the only thing that could improve my DJing skills: playing in front of an audience and not locked up in my studio. Guys, lighten up a bit. From my point of view you have either misunderstood this blog’s intention losing the greater picture OR you are deliberately misunderstanding it and draw your own conclusions.

my 2 cents

16. PS: do you go hunting every DAW manufacturer that claims/advertises:

“Write music fast and easy NOW” ???

17. No I understood it perfectly well

• That’s fair enough Derick, I am also not saying that 6 months of hard practice beats 4 weeks of hard practice, but I am saying that the best experience is that gained in front of a crowd, and that that kind of experience is worth more that bedroom DJing.

Put it this way: one month of crash course leading up to a first gig, then five months of playing in public is a better way to spend those six months.

You may not agree with me, in which case our training and probably our site isn’t to your taste – that’s absolutely fine, I don’t expect it to be the right fit for everyone.

18. Quote “Fear : VERB : Be afraid of (someone or something) as likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening:

Do you honestly think that your student’s “fear” an audience? Don’t you think your being a little dramatic? maybe trying to win your readers over just a little? maybe If after 4 weeks you throw them into a club or busy “bar” (even as a warm up dj) then I’m pretty damn sure you will instill some form of fear, but prior to that, (correct me if I’m wrong), I’d just say it’s nerves/nervousness?”

I’m very fortunate to class as my friends some of the finest original oldskool dj’s in the Northwest of England, like Phil they have been DJing since the Acid house explosion here, one of them since the Northern Soul days of the Twisted Wheel and Wigan casino.
    That one went on to partner one of the biggest and better known nights around here, that still gets spoken fondly of today -ZONE

ALL these DJ’s as a rule are STILL terrified and wracked with nerves before a gig. After 20 plus years of standing before crowds ranging from 300 to 3000+ Me and the wife have had to physically calm them down and point out its gonna be fine
    I promise you this is no lie.

If you look on the Forum there is a post of mine for a sell out Charity gig with Marshal Jefferson, CC Rogers and Maggie K DeMond from Scarlet Fantastic.. The Northern Soul veteran had to go on stage after Marshal, and the rest of these living legends, and i swear as God is my witness this guy was on the decks playing a blinder, while turning to me and asking if he is doing alright!
    He’s 15 years older then me, played countless more gigs than me, and he was still scared witless of dropping a clanger, my heart bled for him, really, i just pointed at the crowd going loony and said what do you think them lot reckon?

So yeah, i think Phil knows what he’s talking about when he mentions fear of the crowd, i’m sure he gets jitters still now, as do the rest of us.
    He’d be a fraud if he didn’t mention the element of fear, to be honest

19. Softcore – that’s probably because no DAW claims that?

Phil – Actually you were claiming that 4weeks of training beats “6 months ‘twiddling and dreaming’ .

No one is playing on words here except you guys. I’m only the second person to have an opinion on this particular post and I too am being politely told “it may not be for me” good luck to any other chaps with a valid opinion.

• Hi Derrick. We love valid, constructive criticism. It helps us to improve what we do. But the first rule above for posting here is “be constructive”. What neither you nor the other detractor did was offer something constructive as a counterpoint to your criticism.

So no, for that reason in itself, politely maybe this isn’t the place for you. I’d rather spend my time helping our community with their DJing than arguing with the few people who don’t like the way we choose to do that.

However I’m always here to discuss matters with you if you feel you have something constructive to add, and you can reach me via the contact form link at the bottom of the site.

20. brainfried says:

Whoever suggested even veteran DJs don’t get nervous before a gig is frankly kidding themselves. And yes, structured learning with direction is more often than not more efficient than messing about self teaching, but not everyone. And if that’s the case, why are you commenting on an article about structured training when your position is already clear?

21. Wow, couldn’t have been better timing. THIS IS EXACTLY MY SITUATION! Wanted to DJ since about 2006, considered buying decks then but never got enough cash together, got Ableton 7 in 2009 and fiddled with production and mixing but never too seriously, came back from a NERO show on the 26th of October (what’s it been, three weeks?) and said “FUCK IT, I’m doing it!” I booked a gig at my local bar for the 1st of December. Been on fire since then. APC40 just came in yesterday, already did a short mix and posted it on soundcloud. Now I gotta get back to selecting tracks and cueing them up!

22. Sebastian says:

This course is great and I would recommend it to anyone who is curious about learning to DJ. I was a complete newbie to all this and have now played a 5 hour set in front of over 100 dancing people.

I especially liked that as well as teaching you how to mix it also included a lot of good information about how to find and organize music, what to think about when buying gear and so on.

Thank you Phil and Digital DJ Tips!

23. All I can say is wow. I recommend this to any new blood. I am brand new to the art of DJ. I bought my first controller 2 weeks ago. I purchased the course on 8/31/12. After 4 constant hrs of practice (using Phil’s method) I was able to MANUALLY BEATMATCH 20 consecutive tracks on 9/1/12. I covered my BPM meters to resist cheating. The only point I am trying to make is that for two weeks, I was just loading tracks and playing music…because I had NO IDEA WHAT I should be PRACTICING as the art. The course laid it all out for me.

Now, I won’t be a super DJ in 4 weeks,but if I commit myself to as much practice on the ENTIRE COURSE as I did the first day I got the course…I will be ready to be in front of SOMEBODY’S audience.

Thanks for the course, Phil.