Numark Announces NS6II 4-Channel Serato DJ Controller

NS6II Numark

Five years after the release of the NS6, Numark follows it up with the NS6II, that builds on the success of the original but adds lots of innovations for 2017.

Numark just revealed the Numark NS6II, a revamped version of its much-loved original NS6 (review here) from way back in 2011. The NS6II comes with a whole host of desirable features, such as dual laptop use, two high-res in-jog displays and touch-sensitive knobs for more expressive DJing.

The standout features for us are the two USB inputs and the built-in 2in high-res display screens on the platters. The former allows you to hook up two laptops simultaneously, enabling seamless back-to-back performances and changeovers between DJs in the booth - something unknown at this price point. The latter allows you to monitor BPM, platter position, time remaining, pitch adjustment and keylock, keeping you focused on the job at hand and minimising the risk of contracting the dreaded "Facebook face" mid-set.

NS6II top

The top of the unit. Note the in-jog displays. It builds on the successful NS6II, which makes sense, but adds enough innovations to make it an exciting release for 2017.

Numark claims further improvement on its "intelligent and self-correcting" platters, designed to offer good performance in all environments (a bugbear with touch-sensitive platters is that their sensitivity can vary, rendering them harder to use in certain circumstances). Moreover, Numark’s touch technology has been added to the NS6II’s EQ and FX knobs, allowing for spontaneous usage of effects and the ability to kill an EQ band with touch; a pretty neat feature, we think.

The MPC performance pads gives you quick access to hot cues, loop functions, a sampler and a slicer. Each function doubles-up with sub functions, giving you 16 velocity-sensitive pads to get creative with.

NS6II front and rear

The front and rear of the new Numark NS6II, showing the twin mics on the front and the array of input/output options on the rear.

The NS6II also functions as a standalone mixer and each of the NS6II’s four channels is served by its own filter and effects knob, pushing out 24-bit quality sound, and is Serato DVS ready. On the front, the controller has: two dedicated mic inputs (good for mobile DJs of course), an always-appreciated split cue function for the headphones, with balanced XLR outputs and RCA booth and master outputs at the rear.

The Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX and lately the DDJ-SX2 have bossed this part of the market in recent years, but the high spec, seemingly great build quality, and genuinely useful innovations (dual USB is a big one, we feel) of the NS6II will certainly provide food for thought for those on the lookout for a four-channel Serato controller this year.

Promo video

• The NS6II will be released in Summer 2017, retailing at US$799 (the earlier $699 price was a Numark PR error). We'll bring you a review as soon as we can, but in the meantime, find out more on the Numark website.

Are you excited by the NS6II’s new features? Would you consider replacing your controller with the NS6II? Let us know your thoughts in the comments...

Comments

1. I'm sold.

2. DJ Ampero says:

I knew they were cooking up something when they listed the NS6 as a legacy product late last year and it slowly dwindled in support with the ongoing Serato and OSX tug-o-war.
    It looks very interesting and also like they're trying to keep things uniformed with this season's device rollout - I thought it was an NS7 at first glance and was looking for the disclaimer.
    I anticipate the reviews and real-world feedback. I'm still using my NS6 and I'm kinda bummed and relieved that the NS6II is almost half the introductory​ price.
    One thing I hope they included with this update is DVS capabilities, especially with Serato. The NS6 doesn't/can't read a digital signal and basically made itself a non-player in regards to expansion.

• Christian Yates says:

It turns out that DVS is offered, although only as an expansion to Serato. From Numark's NS6II page:

"Software
      The full version of Serato DJ comes with the NS6II, and all you have to do is plug and play. NS6II also has an option to upgrade in Serato DJ for the DVS expansion. The DVS expansion allows you to connect external turntables for time coded vinyl control."

http://numark.com/product/ns6ii (right at the bottom)

Good news all round!

3. I actually also thought it was a new NS7.
    However, I'm disappointed to see the mirrored layout. It would be a let down if it doesn't offer DVS, but I'm sure if it was, they would've announced it. I really like the dedicated mic channels & displays. Overall it looks a nice update of a great controller.

• Christian Yates says:

ace,

Good news, DVS is offered, albeit as an expansion in Serato DJ. Just had a quick browse on the Numark page for the NS6II. Here's what I found:

"Software

Hope that was helpful!

4. MrIddz68 says:

Boom! Loved the 1st one and the power of the volUME! Would be nice to see a 2 channel version though for mobile use, sorry Numark but we need a PRO 2 channel NS6 around the same size as your original mixtrack but not as thick! The Wego is just not enough and it is an area where PRP mobile controllers currently really,really do suck! The platinum is ok but it is to long and is not PRO, come on man, its such an obvious hot cake!

5. Rami Ashawa says:

Wow, if this thing is built well its a bargain at $699. I have a ddj-sx and was looking at ddj-sx2 and ddj-sz because of the DVS capability. If this was DVS ready it would be a no-brainer, top seller, no doubt. Even at $799. Do it plz, take my money!

• Christian Yates says:

Rami,

DVS is offered as an expansion in Serato DJ. From the Numark page for the NS6II:

"Software

Hope that was helpful!

• Rami Ashawa says:

Yes it was! I was all set to get a ddjsx2 but now this on top of my shopping list, I'm thinking a custom skin and some chromacaps would clean up the clashing color scheme they have going on lol I checked one out at MBLV 21 and it is really nice. The Roland controller blew me away though.... what a great problem to have so many great choices!

6. Spark972 says:

Alright ! Wiaitng for pre-order now... (ex NS6 owner here).
    The only thing that is sometimes an issue are the capacitive jogwheels that tend to develop moisture in hot clubs/rooms and that need regular cleaning for the touch to work properly.

7. Kenny Schachat says:

After reading the article, I was very pleasantly surprised by the price. I haven't owned any Numark gear in over 14 years and I can't shake the memory of the terrible build quality of the last Numakr mixer I bought.

Has the quality of the Numark controllers really improved to the point where it can compete with Pioneer, Denon, Native Instruments, etc.?

• Spark972 says:

You never seen a NS6, NS7-I-II-III, a V7 in the flesh : no plastic involved on the cases ! No flimsy connectors too. Those are very well built controlers.
      Depend of what area of their range you were looking at...

• MrIddz68 says:

I turned down a Pioneer DDj SR for the NS6 because it was louder and a slightly sweeter sound quality. I agree it was also very well built. I like the red master volume knob on the NS6 something I separated myself on the 1st one but with Chroma caps. No dedicated beat jump buttons by the looks of it unless it is on the pads somewhere. Nice one Numark, it looks great and will probably sound bom too and LOUD! 😀

• Did the opposite from the NS6 to DDJ-SR, and the sound difference was there but not that huge.
          For me SR have a bit more power, but NS6 was sweeter.

• MrIddz68 says:

I agree the SR was more featured but as for periodical hardware a few extra features just did not cut the mustard for me. Controllerism can get a bit gimmicky at times as it is. The power of the SR was weak and Pioneer would have done a better service for the money if the increased the volume power and put a 12volt terminal in there. Even the DDJ Ergo has more output power! Numark has it right on point IMO. There is no need to turn your volume to maximum on either the old NS6 or any of the NS7s in fact I never took it past 1:00 o'clock and that is how a controller should be.

8. EchoPrimer says:

Actually it seems the original price of $699 was a typo. Actual price is $799. Still a great deal considering the NS6 hit the shelves at $999. I'll be heavily considering the upgrade, myself.

9. Michiel Prins says:

Does anyone have inside information on the dimensions of the new unit? When I bought the original NS6 I designed an audio-tv cabinet around it that fits nicely around the unit. I just have a few millimeters of space available in the length of the unit to accommodate the new controller.

10. Michiel Prins says:

Does anyone have inside information to the size of the new units? When I purchased my NS6 I custom built an audio-video cabinet around the controller that has just a few millimeters space on the length of the unit.

11. Dru Kakai says: