2 controllers 1 laptop

Forums Digital DJ Gear 2 controllers 1 laptop

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mista Clean 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

KRiTiCAL SOUND
    Participant

Hey guys,

I have a question seems to be answered a lot but I haven’t found the right solution. I am running a Numark Mixtrack Track Pro 11 Quad. My friend and I want to dj at parties together using my Mixtrack Quad and his Mixtrack Pro (1st gen) with one laptop (since I have the Quad I can’t run Serato but VDJ and TP2 work fine.) Is there a way of mixing together with two controller with a windows 7 laptop. Please tell me steps or send a tutorial.

Cheers!

DJ Vintage

Theoretically it should be possible, you can have several controllers for your software and you can just choose the sound out for one of the controllers. Where I can see things go wrong is with the headphone/cue signal. It would probably come out of only one of the controllers headphone jacks. Making it rather hard to mix.

But perhaps someone else has more experience with this and can enlighten us. I am curious too.

Marco Hooghuis
    Participant

I’m going to try this with my DDJ-SR and my Mixtrack Pro 2, I’ll report back for the results.

Terry_42
    Keymaster

I highly doubt it will work.

DJ Vintage

Well, it worked in Traktor with my 2900s as controller AND my MC6000 as controller. All have soundcards, but I had one setup where I ran all the sound through the 6000, so not using the 2900 soundcards.

Again, it’s theoretically feasible, but even if it works practically, the cueing is going to be an issue from a routing point of view.

Greetinx.

Marco Hooghuis
    Participant

It’s working! I tried with Cross and Traktor as both my controllers are for Serato originally, so connecting both just achieves in Serato claiming them without any options. But the Mixtrack Quad is not Serato certified, so this test may still be valid.
    What I did was connect one controller, started Traktor, set it up, then connect the other, start Cross and set that one up. If it doesn’t work try it the other way around, I might be mistaken as I did it yesterday.

Also be aware that you might need to increase your buffer size which increases your latency. Don’t try it for the first time when it’s live!

KRiTiCAL SOUND
    Participant

thank you! Can you give me more info on how you connected the 2nd controller to traktor? how did you get it recognized and mapped by traktor?

DJ Vintage

Been too long and I don’t have an active Traktor version anymore (had to sell my LE version with my old MC6000 and now my full version upgrade no longer is valid :( ), but I remember there is something about adding the controller in settings. I also remember it was a fiddly job. But there should be enough online information on how to do it (like youtube vids).

Greetinx.

DJ Vintage

Been too long and I don’t have an active Traktor version anymore (had to sell my LE version with my old MC6000 and now my full version upgrade no longer is valid :( ), but I remember there is something about adding the controller in settings. I also remember it was a fiddly job. But there should be enough online information on how to do it (like youtube vids).

Greetinx.

Marco Hooghuis
    Participant

You can choose the controller via the audio routing menu in Traktor. You’ll need a mapping for the Mixtrack Quad in order to use it, check out Numark’s website, djtechtools or the traktor bible website for a mapping. You can also make your own, but that will take a lot longer than simply starting with one and changing it to your preferences.

Mista Clean
    Participant

Do you mean that both controllers are controlling the same program? Thats possible with Virtual DJ. For sound routing you would need VDJ Pro and you coud set both souncards as the master output in the advanced config. I’m slightly confused to what you exactly want to do.

DJ Vintage

Yes, I think that is his plan. Two (diffent) different controllers hooked up to one laptop, so they can play back to back. The OP doesn’t specify if he wants to use two different kinds of DJ software. I assumed they’d both want to be in the same software.

Marco Hooghuis
    Participant

Why would you do that?

DJ Vintage

Good question

Mista Clean
    Participant

Another idea is that if you can have both controllers hooked up to whatever your sound output is, then you could just switch which sound card is selected in VDJ. There would be a a small fraction of a second gap though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

Only site members can post or reply on this forum. Existing members can login here. To join for free, register here.