In the first instalment of an occasional series on practical uses for your old vinyl records, we show you how to make a nice plant pot. With thanks to the Thrifty Fun website for the instructions and photo. Here’s how to do it:
- Line your oven with aluminum foil
- Lay your record on top of a large glass, ceramic or stainless bowl and place in the oven
- Turn the oven to its lowest setting and keep watch on the record. Do not leave record in oven for more that 2 minutes. After 1 or 2 minutes record will stop being playable and start being pliable!
- Remove record and bowl from oven with oven gloves
- Take a second smaller bowl that will easily fit inside of the bottom bowl and put this bowl on top of the record. Use this bowl to push your vinyl down
Top tip: You can also use your oven mitt to push the record down into the glass bowl, & quickly arrange the folds (or “ruffles”) of vinyl then put the smaller bowl inside to make a more round shape.
Have you got a good use for old vinyl that you’d like to see covered in more depth here? Let us know in the comments!
Want to join the Digital DJ Tips club?
Find out about all the benefits of joining our FREE DJ-only member’s club.