Hot on the heels of our “which RCA cables are best?” debate, IK Multimedia has announced its iLine Mobile Music Cable Kit, a collection of high quality cables designed for routing audio to and from electronic instruments, DJ controllers, tablets, smartphones, MP3 players, DJ mixers and laptops.
The cables come in a travel case, making it the easy to stash them in your DJ kit bag on your way out of the door to a gig. And while they’re meant for all types of digital musicians, not just DJs, they do cover you for a multitude of user scenarios.
What’s in the bag…
The cables included are:
- Mono output adapter: Converts 1/8″ (3.5mm) stereo output to 1/4″ (6.35mm) mono signal. You could this to send your stereo output from your device into a mono input device like a mono-input powered speaker
- Input output extension: Extends the range of a device output jack, including signal input and microphone capability. Would be good with IK Multimedia’s own iRig, iRig MIC or iRig Mic CAST, or your own smartphone headset, giving you with more room to move around
- Stereo aux: Almost 5 feet (150cm) in length, this extra long stereo cable can be used when you want to connect your device to speakers (or a car stereo…), in places where longer cable runs are required
- Stereo headphone splitter: As the name implies, this one takes a single stereo pair from your device and makes two out of it. Allows the use of two pairs of headphones or speakers from a single stereo output on a 1/8″ (3.5mm) jack, long enough (12″/30 cm) to ensure proper separation of the listeners. not to be confused with…
- Mono output splitter: This one is perfect for sending the signal from your device to the L/R inputs in a stereo channel on a mixer, with 2 x 1/4″ (6.35mm) mono female jacks leading from an 1/8″ stereo male
- RCA output adapter: 1/8″ (3.5mm) stereo male to 2 x RCA mono male. This cable makes it possible to connect a mobile device to DJ gear, or home stereos with RCA I/O
Why carry spare cables?
We always recommend DJs assemble and carry a spare cables kit, so that if they do have to patch in to unexpected equipment, or run an emergency source from your smartphone or laptop into am amp or mixer, you’ll be covered.
This kit, plus a few adaptors (1/8″ to 1/4″, mono to stereo, TRS to RCA) would pretty much cover you for anything bars, lounges or small clubs may throw at you upon arrival – especially if you use mobile production gear as well as your DJ kit. Of course, you could easily assemble your own… but if you want them all together in a smart case, this could be the way to go. Each cable is available separately too should there be only one or two you feel will be of use to you.
The iLine Mobile Music Kit will be priced at €47.99 (excl. VAT), which IK Multimedia says is a 50% cost saving over buying the cables individually. More info at IK Multimedia’s website.
Does this look like something you’d use? What cables do you never leave the house without? Please share your thoughts in the comments.