One thing DJs don’t discuss often enough is the toll the “DJ lifestyle” can take. Our Avicii lead story this week should serve as a reminder that if you want to make a long career out of this, you have some pretty important lifestyle decisions to make – and that those decisions are best made early on.
Also in this week’s roundup (on a lighter note), watch some videos on the early history of dance music, check out some cool Flips by Serato DJ users, and get some music marketing and production tips. If you’re coming to the BPM Show we’ll see you there, if not, stay tuned – we’ll be reporting all weekend long!
- Avicii’s Health Issues: The Truth About Burnout – Avicii has cancelled all his future tour dates, reports Do Androids Dance, citing health problems. While most of what we see in the media is DJs having the time of their lives constantly on tour, all that comes at a cost… Read more
- The Early Days Of Dance Music – Thump has produced a mini-documentary series on the roots of dance music. A good watch for both beginner and veteran DJs Watch Part One Watch Part Two
- Studio Monitors For DJs Put To Test – Find out how several entry-level studio monitors stack up against each other in this comprehensive test by the folks at DJ Worx Read more
- Nick These Serato Flip Ideas – Unsure how to use Serato Flip just yet? Get inspired by these Serato staff-picked videos and get flipping! Watch it
- Boomrat Is Hype Machine For Electronic Music – New site Boomrat is there to do the Hype Machine thing for EDM, reports Do Androids Dance Read more
- 5 Basic Production Techniques You Need Right Now – Addison Groove shares his tips for getting your bedroom productions sounding their best. XLR8R has them Read more
- No-Cost Music Marketing For DJs – Get your name out without breaking the bank with these ten marketing tips, from Hypebot Read more
- The 10 Commandments Of Superstar DJs – As told by DJ demi-god Tiësto to his prophets at inthemix. Take with a pinch of salt… Read more
- 100 Reasons The DJ Hates You – “Is he rude, snarky, or just ‘being himself’?” It’s time to fellowship with The DJ Gospel Read more
Have you experienced a form of DJ burnout from gigging? How did you deal with it? If you’ve got tips for how to cope, or if you’d like to discuss any of the other articles in this roundup, do share with us in the comments section below.