In this week’s Friday Roundup, learn how to get paid properly for your spinning skills, get some sound DJ management advice from legendary DJ (and legal eagle) Judge Jules, and check out a vintage DMC clip from 1991 showing a routine not on turntables, but two reel to reel tape decks. All that and more in our weekly muster of DJ news from around the web. The weekend has landed!
- How To Get Paid To DJ (According To DJs Who Get Paid To DJ) – Still getting paid peanuts despite the great turnout at your shows, or worse, playing for free? Learn why and how you should be getting paid for spinning night after night. Thump has it Read more
- DJing Isn’t All That Difficult – A writer from Buzzfeed got a crash course in DJing and played his first show to prove that commanding decks is a piece of cake. While it’s possible for anyone (and we mean anyone!) to get into DJing, it really takes a lifetime to master. Check out the video over at YourEDM Watch it
- Here’s Why The British Nightclub Is Dying – Carrying over from last week’s news that half of the UK’s nightclubs have closed, a club owner dishes on the real reasons why this is the case (hint: The government and police are involved!) The Telegraph has it Read more
- What Makes A Good DJ Manager? – If you’re wondering if it’s time to get a manager yourself, DJ legend (and practising lawyer) Judge Jules gives a few tips on what to look for in a manager for your career. Mixmag has it Read more
- Is Reel To Reel DJing “Real DJing”? – Check out this routine from the DMC World Championships in 1991 executed on a pair of, wait for it, reel to reel tape decks! It’s over at inthemix Watch it
- Zac Efron Says the Most Fun Part of DJing Is Pretending to Look Busy – With the EDM flick We Are Your Friends set to open this week, Thump gets cosy with lead actor Zac Efron Read it
Feel free to comment on any of the articles above in the section below.