In this week’s Friday Roundup, we’ve got a think piece on Shazaming and whether or not it’s taken away the DJ’s “secret weapon”, an article that explores the finer points of being a resident DJ, and even a close look at whether or not EDM “hands in the air” DJs can get some cred by spinning vinyl instead of pressing buttons. They’re all here and more in our weekly roundup of DJ news from around the web. Have a great weekend ahead!
- Has Shazam Taken Away The DJs Secret Weapon? – With song titles and artist names just a Shazam away, has the popular track ID service made DJing a case of monkey see (or hear) monkey do? Meoko finds out Read more
- A Brief History Of Turntablism – Know the roots of scratch culture starting from Edison’s wax cylinders all the way to the 21st century in this article by The Vinyl Factory Read more
- Amazon To Launch Music Streaming Service – There’s a new player in the streaming game, and it may just be the one that gives Spotify a run for its money. The NY Post has it Read more
- What Makes A Good Resident DJ? – As globetrotting festival DJs and 45-minute sets are fast becoming the norm, the notion of spinning weekly at a regular venue is fading. That’s not to say it’s completely disappeared, though, and perhaps a resurgence isn’t too far away. Stamp The Wax has the piece Read more
- What’s In Store For UK Club Culture? – Thump gets cosy with five of the biggest names in the British nightclub industry to hear their thoughts on where it’s headed Read more
- Can EDM DJs Gain Cred By Spinning Vinyl? – In a strange twist, DJ Mag Top 100 number one EDM bros Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike spun a 10-minute vinyl set at one of their arena shows. Are they “real DJs” now? Magnetic Magazine has it Read more
- Clean Up Your Serato DJ Library – Is your library a mess? Here’s how to tidy up courtesy of the Serato Blog Read more
- How To Market Yourself As A DJ In 2016 – Check out this comprehensive guide on how to promote, brand, and market your DJing by Decoded Magazine Read more
- 3D Printed Discs For The Fisher Price Record Player Are Real – Now you can drop some serious bass alongside those killer nursery rhymes (Humpty Dumpty was my jam!) Decoded Magazine has it Read more
- Girls Look At Your Feet, Too! – Still turning up to the gig in socks and sandals? Get serious with these kicks for a quick DJ style boost. BPM Supreme has the list Read more
Comment on any of the articles in the section below.