In this week’s Friday Roundup, we’ve got an interview with chart-topping producer Diplo where he speaks his mind and explains why he thinks his DJ contemporaries are a “corny” bunch. (Depends what type of DJs you’re talking about, if you ask us.) We’ve also got a piece where the authors suggest music genres that you’d want to be listening to while you work, and a chat with Richie Hawtin about his new mixer. All these and more in our weekly roundup of DJ news. The weekend has landed!
- Diplo Claims DJ Culture Is A “Sinking Ship” – The 37-year-old producer’s having a brilliant run in the club charts and radio, but why’s he so negative when it comes to DJing? Find out in this Billboard exclusive Read more
- This Is The Kind Of Music You Should Listen To At Work – You’d be surprised to know that certain music genres are better suited for particular styles of work. Find out which ones are a good match in this piece by The Guardian
- The Struggle Of Music Producers Trying To DJ – Is it essential that all producers learn to DJ, and all DJs learn to produce? Magnetic Magazine doesn’t think so Read more
- Throw An EDM Party In Your Living Room – Intimate venues aren’t just for acoustic performances anymore. Producer Ryan Holiday shares his experience in this post from DIY Musician Read more
- How To Get Over Your Fear Of Sharing Your First Track – Hitting the “upload” button for a tune you just finished can be a harrowing experience, especially for first-timers. The LANDR Blog has some tips Read more
- Richie Hawtin Answers Questions About His New Mixer – Thump got together with the Plastikman to discuss his new Model 1 mixer under the PLAYdifferently brand Read more
- Watch This Fretless Fader Turntablism Routine – Check out this killer DMC Online Finals entry by DJ Brace Watch it
- Billboard’s Third Annual Power List Of DJs & Executives – Here’s a rundown of dance music’s movers and shakers. It’s over at Billboard Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.