In this week’s Friday Roundup, we’ve got an important piece gathering the sentiments of DJs and dance music fans after the recent Orlando shooting. We’ve also got a feature on Paul Van Dyk’s road to recovery after his near-fatal stage fall, and a piece on a major new SoundCloud investor. All these and more in our weekly roundup of DJ news from around the web. Take care of each other, and have a safe weekend, folks!
Orlando: DDJT editorial comment
We had a chat in our weekly meeting here at DDJT about not really knowing what to do in the face of what happened in Orlando. But here’s what I want to say: Our culture is about inclusivity. Discrimination on the grounds of gender, race, sexuality, religion or anything else is unacceptable. Call it “PLUR”, call it “one nation under a groove”, it doesn’t matter how you want to word this – this is a pre-requisite in our world. If you’re here, on this page, reading this, as part of our community, you also accept this; if you don’t, we are not your tribe. Finally – to everyone affected directly or indirectly by this sad, sad event, fight on. We are by your side x. – Phil
- How The Dance Community Responded To The Orlando Shooting – Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected. Magnetic Magazine has the piece Read more
- Is Live Electronic Music Taking Over? – In the wake of the EDM DJ boom, are dance music lovers shifting their tastes to live performances instead of just DJ sets? Magnetic Magazine explores Read more
- Are Traktor & Serato DJs Locked Out Of DVS On The DJM-900NXS2? – With Rekordbox DVS now available as an add-on to Rekordbox DJ, Pioneer DJ seems to be putting up walls to guard its DJ ecosystem. DJ Techtools has the scoop Read more
- Sting’s Daughter Is A DJ – Arguably the finest multi-instrumentalist and songwriter on the planet has a kid who didn’t exactly follow daddy’s footsteps. The Cut has it Read more
- Twitter Invests US$70 Million In SoundCloud – A key player just bought a piece of the beleaguered music streaming company, but with Twitter slowly being edged out by newer platforms like Snapchat, is this a case of two ageing giants commiserating? DJ Mag has it Read more
- Paul Van Dyk’s Road To Recovery – Check out how the godfather of trance has been fighting his way back to the stage after a deadly fall earlier this year. Billboard has it Read more
- Dance Scenes & The Shoes Associated With Them – Here’s what your choice of footwear says about your musical taste. Mixmag has it Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles above in the section below.