In this week’s Friday Roundup, we’ve got an eye-opening feature by The Guardian on sleep-deprivation, depression, and other perils faced by DJs who tour constantly. We’ve also got tips from the best DJs on how to execute the perfect opening set, and a look at how pirate sites are hurting dance music. All these and more in our weekly roundup of DJ news. Have a great weekend!
- Drugs, Sleeplessness, Isolation: The Downside Of Being A DJ – It’s fun being behind the decks, but what happens when the show’s over and it’s time to move on to the next? The Guardian explores the dark side of touring Read more
- The Art Of The Opening DJ – Dubspot interviews a handful of the best DJs in the business, and they give some tips for spinning a great support slot Read more
- Pirate Sites Choke DJ/Producers – Find out how pirate sites leech money off of DJs and producers, who in turn never get paid appropriately for all their hard work. The BBC has it Read more
- DJ Sara Scratches On A Beatpad – Check out DJ Sara’s performance on a portable Reloop Beatpad 2 running djay Pro on a Mac Read more
- Are DJ Turntables Outselling CDJs? – With the vinyl resurgence in full effect, are more DJs buying decks now instead of media players? DJ Techtools explores Read more
- Greg Wilson’s Discotheque Archives – In this fourth instalment of electro pioneer Greg Wilson, he unearths even more disco legends that helped shape dance culture as we know it today. DJ Mag has it Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the comments below.