In this week’s Friday Roundup, we’ve got a feature on why great DJs aren’t afraid to take risks during their sets, even if it means clearing the floor just to try something new. We’ve also got a piece that ponders whether DJing’s lowered barriers to entry have killed the art form (spoiler: they haven’t), and a piece that looks at the importance of remixing in modern dance culture. All these and more in our weekly roundup of DJ news. Have a great weekend!
- The Only Way To Be The Real Deal – Entrepreneur James Altucher signed up for DJ classes, and he shares the most important lesson his mentor taught him in this piece Read more
- Is The Art Of DJing Dead? – With software and controllers making it easier than ever to get started, this feature on The Economist explores whether or not DJing as an art form is over (course it isn’t!) Read more
- 8 Songs To Test Your Headphones & Speakers – Check out these tunes that’ll bring out the best (and worst) in any pair of cans or monitors. It’s over at Nechstar Read more
- Laurent Garnier In Focus – Decoded Magazine gets in deep with the man with the red face Read more
- Live Streaming DJ Sets On Facebook Live: Copyright Issues? – DJ Techtools takes a look at the legalities of broadcasting your DJ sessions on Facebook Live Read more
- 10 DJs You Need To Know This Month – DJ Mag gives a rundown of who it thinks are the hot new DJs right now Read more
- How Remixing Became A Crucial Art Form – Get a quick primer on the history of the remix, and learn why it’s an integral aspect of modern electronic music. Thump has it Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.