In this week’s Friday Roundup, we’re leading with a piece that explains why some of the most profound and emotionally satisfying moments sharing music can happen beyond the dancefloor. We’ve also got a look at how this unusual DJ takes his crowd “to church”, along with a piece on how tinnitus may be a thing of the past thanks to lab-grown human ear parts (you read that right!). These and more in our weekly roundup of DJ news from around the web.
- Be Proud Of Your “Coffee Table” Tunes – We love to kill it at clubs as DJs, but there’s a certain magic in connecting with your audience in a less “ravey” atmosphere like a pub, poolside, or even at home. Mixmag has it Read more
- This DJ Turned His Church Into A Dancefloor – Check out this story on a guy who’s a clergyman by day and a non-secular spinner by night. Read about this minister of sound over at Thump Read more
- Science Will Save Your Poor Hearing – You may finally be able to hear those high frequencies you sorely miss thanks to advancements that let scientists grow ear bits in a lab. Sounds good? It’s over at Gizmodo Read more
- Are Cassettes The New Vinyl? – While moustached hipsters and black shirt-wearing music lovers (Uh, I’m both…) continue to hoard wax to bask in the warmth of analogue, are cassettes and tape hiss next up for a revival? Only time will tell, but check out this cool portable tape player concept that’ll have you unashamedly digging up your Modern Talking collection. Stoney Roads has it Read more
- These Kicks Make Kick Drums – Check out this awesome design idea that marries the Roland TR-808 with a pair of Adidas trainers. Is it taking your love of dance music a step too far? Ask Audio has it Read more
- Crowdsourcing Is Changing The Way We Throw Parties – This DJ crowdsourced his production team and audience to fly in DJs he wants to see, and he’s making a pretty penny out of it. Thump has the scoop Read more
- Jetpack Made A Backpack For Portablism – Bag company Jetpack has just released a new rucksack aimed squarely at the portable turntablism crowd. DJ Worx has it Read more
- SoundCloud Unveils Music Discovery Feature – The beleaguered streaming giant isn’t out just yet as it launches a new discovery component that resembles Spotify’s useful Daily Mix feature. Hypebot has it Read more
Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.