In this week’s Friday Roundup, we lead with a piece by legendary DJ Steve Lawler on why being a great DJ starts by picking out good tunes to share. We’ve also got an in-depth interview with Armand Van Helden, and some creative techniques for making Spotify playlists. These and more in our weekly roundup of DJ news. Have a great weekend ahead!
- Why The Greatest DJs Are Tastemakers – This feature by Steve Lawler explains why having an ear for music and a knack for sharing are prerequisites to DJ greatness. Mixmag has it Read more
- 8 Creative Spotify Playlist Ideas – Build your DJ brand by coming out with fresh playlists using the world’s largest streaming platform. The LANDR blog has it Read more
- Armand Van Helden Isn’t Impressed By Today’s DJs – The respected house producer hits back at superstars who do nothing but press play. Check out the full interview at inthemix Read more
- What Kind Of Procrastinator Are You? – Artists (yes, that includes DJs) are notorious procrastinators. See which category you fall under in this piece by DIY Musician Read more
- Sega Genesis Scratch Routine – A-Trak’s Goldie Awards contest is still open for submissions. Check out DJ Vekked’s impressive performance full of 16-bit gaming goodness. Mashable has it Watch it
- Greg Wilson’s Discotheque Archives – Read up on iconic names from the disco era in this article by the electro-funk pioneer. DJ Mag has it Read more
- 6 Vinyl Ripping Tips – Mojaxx over at DJ City shares some tricks for making the perfect digital rip of your favourite records Read more
- This Mobile DJ Rig Runs On AA Batteries – The title says it all… DJ News has it Watch it
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.