If you think you have to be a music producer to be a DJ, think again: We’re leading with a piece by Electronic Beats on a German club DJ who only plays other people’s tunes, just like how DJing was back in the day. We’ve also got a piece on a world-famous DJ who claims he’s actually not a DJ. Intrigued? Read on to find out more, along with other pieces we’ve got from Lifehack, Digital Music News, and Mixmag. Have a great weekend!
- Why DJs Don’t Always Have To Produce Music – The world’s biggest DJs today have big chart-topping tunes backing them up, but spinning your own hits wasn’t how DJing started. Is there still room in today’s electronic music scene for a “purist” DJ who only plays other people’s music? Check out this feature by Electronic Beats Read more
- Zedd: “I Would Never Consider Myself A DJ” – EDM superstar Zedd explains why he sees himself more as a musician and a composer rather than a DJ, and gives an intriguing take on how he regards his “DJ shows”, which is very different from the view in our first item this week. Forbes has it Read more
- 15 Amazing Benefits Of Listening To Music – You’re a DJ because you love music, and it feels great to share that music with others. But did you know that the act of listening to music itself has several benefits? Check out this piece by Lifehack Read more
- Has The Communal Aspect Of DJing Disappeared? – Technology has made it possible for you to create a dance tune alone in your bedroom on a laptop, ready to be uploaded and heard by the world in a few seconds. Sure, it’s never been easier or faster, but has all of this convenience come at a cost? This piece by Mixmag explores how being part of a community was essential to being a DJ/producer back then Read more
- 14 Destructive Music Industry Myths – The music landscape is ever-changing: digital music was once the bane of major labels, but since streaming curbed piracy, the majors are now banking heavily on it. Is it safe to say that Spotify “saved” the music industry? Digital Music News thinks not. Read up on this myth, as well as other music industry false beliefs, in this piece Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.