In this week’s Friday Five, we’re leading with a piece from Digital Music News that talks about Apple’s alleged plans for scrapping music downloads in its iTunes Store – this won’t have a massive impact for consumers (most use streaming sites like Spotify and Apple Music anyway) but it could be a huge blow for DJs – not least because it could spell the end of iTunes as a music management app. We’ve also got pieces from Mixmag, DJ Mag, and Time. Have a great weekend ahead!
- Apple ‘On Schedule’ To Scrap Music Downloads By 2019 – If this is true and music downloads are going to be phased out, will iTunes cease to exist as a music library manager too? Is this the end of iTunes for DJs? Digital Music News has it Read more
- Selectors Have Become As Treasured As Producers – You may find that almost all DJs on festival billings also happen to be producers playing their own tracks, but this year has seen a resurgence of “old school” DJs who are known primarily for picking out and playing other people’s music. Mixmag has it Read more
- The Most Shazamed Songs Of 2017 – Check out the top 15 songs folk have been trying to identify with their phones this past year. Digital Music News has it Read more
- Computers Are Now Making Music – Hear a tune created by the first artificial intelligence (AI) music producer. You might be surprised at how well it sits with the rest of the Spotify dance pop playlist. DJ Mag has it Read more
- Ranked: Spotify’s Top Songs Of 2017 – These songs got the most plays on the music streaming service this year. Time has it Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.