In this week’s Friday Five, we’re leading with a year-end review of music streaming’s peaks and valleys as it rapidly became the de facto way that people consume music. We’ve also got deep reads from Resident Advisor, Fact Magazine, The Guardian, and Daily Mail. Have a great weekend everyone!
- The Biggest Streaming Music Trends of 2017 – It’s been a big year for music streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music, and Pitchfork rounds up the most important streaming developments in this piece Read more
- The Year In Electronic Music – Resident Advisor put together its list of what’s gone down for dance music and DJing this past year. You’ll also want to read on for a peek at what’s to come in 2018 from the bleeding edge of electronica Read more
- Will SoundCloud Survive The Streaming Wars? – After a tumultuous past few years, SoundCloud is still alive and kicking under a new CEO. With Spotify dominating the streaming space and Apple Music doing everything it can to get up to speed, how can SoundCloud survive this streaming assault? Fact Magazine explores Read more
- Can Music Restore Brain Functions? – The National Institutes of Health is conducting a study to discover how different types of music can stimulate different parts of the brain, and how they can be used for healing apart from soothing patients during music therapy. Daily Mail has it Read more
- Why 2017 Was The Year Latin Pop Broke Through – You’ve heard it all over Spotify, YouTube, and even old media guards like radio and TV: Latin-infused beats and vocals were the biggest pop trends worldwide this past year. Find out how it all happened in this piece by The Guardian Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.