This week has been filled with news of EDM superstar Avicii’s untimely passing, and in today’s Friday Five we’re leading with a piece from Create Digital Music that reflects on this tragedy and the implications of touring for all DJ/producers and performers. We’ve also got pieces from Fader, ESPN, Mixmag and Time. Take care of yourself and your loved ones – have a good weekend ahead!
- Avicii’s Death Is A Wake Up Call – Create Digital Music traces Avicii’s successes and struggles, and the physical and mental tolls that an extreme touring schedule took on the big room maestro Read the article
- Obama Made This DJ Retire – In this interview on the Tonight Show, Questlove from The Roots tells the story of how former US president Barack Obama asked for a request that made him quit DJing and rethink his approach. Fader has it Read the article
- Why The Sports Team DJ Is Essential – We all love music, but did you know that it’s even more crucial in a sports setting? The right song gets you “in the zone” – it’s the same reason why boxers and MMA fighters choose their walk-out music carefully. ESPN takes a look at how music plays a critical role in a baseball team Read the article
- 10 Times Acid House Infiltrated The Mainstream – It’s been 20 years since acid house burst into the UK dance scene, and we still hear its influence in a lot of contemporary techno and house tunes. Mixmag has it Read the article
- Confirmed: Music Is Good For You – Music can transform your mood, but how does it do that exactly? And does that mean you should avoid songs that you hate? Time investigates Read the article
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.