In this week’s Friday Five, we’re leading with a feature from Mixmag that unearths classic mixtapes from the latter part of the 20th century and explains why they still sound fresh today. We’ve also got articles from Resident Advisor, Electronic Beats, Music Business Worldwide and Red Bull Music Academy. Have a great weekend ahead!
- What Makes A Mixtape Timeless? – Mixmag digs up three Mixcloud accounts that specialise in classic house and rave mixtapes. Find out how a mix stands the test of time in this piece Read more
- The Art Of DJing: Louie Vega – Resident Advisor goes in deep with the legendary DJ/producer known for both his solo efforts and as one half of seminal house outfit Masters At Work Read more
- What Do DJs Eat On Tour? – “Food porn” is huge on Instagram, so it’s only a matter of time before someone comes up with a profile that chronicles what famous DJs munch on. Electronic Beats has it Read more
- Music Downloads Remain Strong At Beatport – As people shift away from downloading to streaming music, track downloads are in decline across all major stores except one: Beatport. Find out why in this piece by Music Business World Read more
- Electronic Music History 101 – Brush up on the roots of dance music with these short videos from Redbull Music Academy Watch them
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.