In this week’s Friday Five, we’re leading with a piece from Defected Records that features some of the greatest DJ mix CD compilations ever made, and what’s in store for DJ mixes in an age of music streaming. We’ve also got pieces from Pitchfork, DJ Worx, DJ Techtools, and Flypaper. Have a great weekend ahead!
- The Life & Times Of The DJ Mix CD – A DJ mix compilation CD was one of the hallmarks of having “made it” in DJing back in the days before MP3s and music streaming. Defected lists a handful of the most timeless ones Read more
- Why Did Red Bull Music Academy Close? – Pitchfork investigates as to why the acclaimed underground music producer summit shuttered, and what this means for the greater dance community moving forward Read more
- iPhone DJing Finally Got Its Boiler Room Moment – Underground champions Boiler Room published a performance on its channel this past week where the DJ spun an entire set using an iPhone. Cue angry comments and sad reacts – but why are DJs so angry about it anyway? DJ Worx has it Read more
- How A 30-Year Veteran DJ Reads A Crowd – DJ Dan Curtin talks to DJ Techtools and shares his techniques for adapting to a crowd, thinking on your feet and getting over stage fright Read more
- 7 Headroom Tips For Great Sounding Mixes – There’s always something you can do to make your productions sound better before heading out for mastering. Check out this list of tips from Soundfly Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.