In this week’s Friday Five, we’re leading with a piece from Red Bull Music Academy that takes a look at the history of the DJ mixer. We’ve also got pieces from Resident Advisor, Billboard, Mixmag, and The New York Times. Have a great weekend ahead!
- The Evolution Of The DJ Mixer – Mixers have come a long way from just being a device that blends two inputs into one output. Red Bull Music Academy takes a look at its humble beginnings, and what the future holds Read more
- The Art Of DJing: Dr. Rubinstein – The respected techno selector shares her tips for creating energy through blending tracks, why she uses a vintage Urei mixer, and her unique record labelling process. Resident Advisor has it Read more
- Pop Songs Are Getting Shorter – Songs in the Billboard Hot 100 top 10 are under three minutes long, making them up to 30-seconds shorter than songs in last year’s top 10. What gives? Billboard explores Read more
- Why Steve Aoki Treats His Career Like a Sport – The electro / EDM phenom and label head honcho explains why and how he stays in top shape in the face of a gruelling tour and work schedule. The New York Times has it Read more
- 5 People You Meet At A Music Conference – Check out Mixmag’s cheeky take on the colourful personalities you’re likely to meet at music conferences Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.