In this week’s Friday Five, we’re leading with a piece from DJ Mag that explores the history, heritage and influence of the Roland TR-909 drum machine in dance music. We’ve also got pieces from Mixmag, Rolling Stone, and DIY Musician. Have a great weekend ahead!
- Why DJs Love The 909 Drum Machine – Jazzy Jeff, DJ Sneak, Jeff Mills… the list of iconic DJs goes on. Learn why the 909 is one of the most revered drum machines in history, in celebration of this year’s “909 Day”. DJ Mag has it Read more
- 27 Awesome Mixes To Check Out – Want to up your mixtape game? Check out this list of DJ mixes that Mixmag thinks are the best this year so far – cop a few tracks and tricks Read more
- Ghost Producers Vs Studio Collaborators – When someone works with you on a tune, is that person a ghost producer or a co-producer? What’s the difference between the two? DJ Mag explores Read more
- What’s An EP, And Should You Make One? – It’s never been easier and cheaper to put music out into the world, but should DJ/producers put out singles, albums, or EPs? What are the differences and advantages of each? Find out in this piece from DIY Musician Read more
- Why The Music Industry Is All About Attention – It’s becoming increasingly common for lesser known produceres to name their tracks after world famous artists in order to get streaming clicks. Is this a sustainable gimmick, or will it backfire? Rolling Stone has it Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.