In this week’s Friday Five, we’re leading with a piece from Mixmag on why staying true to who you are and putting the work in are your best bets for DJ success and longevity. We’ve also got pieces from The Guardian, Pitchfork, Flypaper and The Conversation. Have a great weekend ahead!
- “Keeping It Real” Is The Best Career Advice You Can Get – Want to increase your chances of staying in the DJ game for longer? Work harder, smarter, and most importantly, stay true to who you are. Mixmag’s Secret DJ lays it all out Read more
- How Boiler Room Changed Clubbing Forever – You’ve probably seen a clip of a Boiler Room party with a room full of ravers dancing to a DJ you’ve never heard of. What’s with all the hype? Welcome to clubbing in the 21st century – The Guardian explores Read more
- 8 Awesome DJ Sets To Check Out – Pitchfork runs down a handful of DJ mixes and performances that it thinks are the best of the past month. A great resource to cop some mix tricks and tracks for your next DJ set Read more
- The Legacy Of The MPC – The Akai MPC helped define the sound of hip-hop in the 80s and 90s because it was the de facto sampling instrument and drum machine for legendary producers including J Dilla and Kanye West. Flypaper has it Read more
- Why Do Old People Hate New Music? – Here’s why throwback sets will never go out of style (and what you can do to fight the urge to avoid new music). The Conversation has it Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.