This course will teach you everything you need to DJ like a pro using every type of DJ gear, no matter what your current set-up.
We’ll show you how to discover, organise and prepare your music in the same way the pros do, so that you instantly have the best tunes at your fingertips, for any gig. All the timeless skills of DJing including manual beatmixing, counting beats and bars, and a huge number of actual transitions from basic to advanced, so you can pull off breathtaking technical mixes effortlessly.
This course will guarantee you put in a great performance as a DJ, including how to conquer pre-set nerves, controlling the mood of a crowd and “leading the party”, so you can play rock-solid gigs in clubs, bars, lounges, at festivals, even on the radio…
What you'll learn
- You’ll use loops, filters and cue points to add to your transitions, making it child’s play to switch between genres and BPMs… plus you get a “cookbook” of pro techniques to follow, adapt and use in your own DJing directly.
- Get confident on ANY software system – the course specifically covers Serato DJ, Rekordbox DJ, Traktor Pro 2 and Virtual DJ – and it works just as well for all other software systems.
- Learn to read a crowd, programme an actual DJ set, set up your gear in a club, and deal with other DJs, club managers, promoters and the public, to give you the confidence to play in ANY venue.
Full Course Details
In this module we’ll help you to choose your DJ gear, gain understanding of all types of modern systems, learn what works with what, get up to speed on digital, and select wisely depending on where you want to DJ. You’ll learn how to avoid expensive buying mistakes, plus get the full lowdown on club gear, DVS, controller, modular systems, laptops and accessories…
- The digital DJ revolution
- DJ gear in clubs
- How digital DJs play in clubs
- Pros and cons of different DJ systems
- What type of DJ gear to buy
- Buyers guide I: DJ software & controllers
- Buyers guide II: DVS & laptop-free DJing
- Buyers guide III: Laptops & Accessories
Here we’ll show you the core principles of growing and maintaining a great digital music collection. You’ll learn the secrets of vinyl DJs and how they are applied by smart DJ today, and we reveal our Playlist Pyramid and DJ Quadrant systems, that make sure you always have the right tune at your fingertips. We talk software, tags, metadata, file types, smart playlists and much more.
- Vinyl secrets for digital DJs
- Principals of building a great collection
- Discovery I: Day to day tactics
- Discovery II: Using curated systems
- Shortlisting I: Your weekly session
- Shortlisting II: The buying list
- Preparation I: The system
- Preparation II: The tools
- Organising I: The principles
- Organising II: How to do it
- Transferring to DJ software & backing up
- iTunes set up for DJs
- To iTunes or not to iTunes?
Here you’ll learn the key skills of creative mixing, on ANY DJ gear at all. This is the very core of our mixing blueprint, covering the building blocks of mixing, counting, phrasing, manual beatmatching, proper headphone use, and mixing tools, and ending with three failsafe transitions that any DJ can use anywhere to get through the vast majority of DJ gigs, end to end.
- Building blocks of mixing
- Counting & phrasing
- Manual beatmixing
- Using headphones for cue & EQ
- Aids to help with mixing
- The cut, the drop and the lead in drop
Here we build on the Mixing Fundamentals training to give you a thorough understanding the all the principles of good mixing, including “invisible” vs “showing off” techniques, and how to use loops, effects, cues, extra decks, acapellas, slip mode and many more of the bells and whistles of modern DJ gear and controllers as you become an expert.
- Principles of good mixing
- Mixing with loops
- Mixing with effects the right way
- Mixing with effects: Hands on
- Using cues: From Vinyl to digital
- Using cues: Real world examples
- Extra decks: Acapellas, Slip mode and more
In this module you’ll find real-world transitions you can practise and lift right from the course and into your own DJing. You’ll learn the Bass Swap, the Harmonic Mix, the Acapella Mix, The Super Cut & Super Drop, the Brake, the Auto Spinback, the Manual Spinback, the Baby Scratch, and the Drastic Tempo/Genre Change mix. There’s a bonus full mix too showing them all in context.
- The bass swap
- The harmonic mix
- The acapella mix
- The “super drop” and “super cut”
- Vinyl effects I: Brake & auto spinback
- Vinyl effects II: Baby scratch & manual spinback
- Drastic tempo & genre change mix
- Bonus: The full mix
It’s time to take you smoothly and successfully from your practice studio to the DJ booth. You’ll learn the art of set programming, how to read a crowd to keep your dancefloor full and happy, and how to conquer your nerves and behave confidently around other DJs, managers, promoters and the public. Plus specific instructions for DJing in clubs, bars and on the radio.
- Programming a DJ set
- Reading the crowd
- “Performing” your music
- Dealing with nerves
- DJ etiquette
- DJing in lounges & bars
- Radio DJing
- DJing in clubs
- Bonus: Real-time bar DJ set-up