Already a member? Log in here
How To Digital DJ Fast
This top-selling online video course from Digital DJ Tips – now in a fully remade second edition – has all you need to get from complete beginner to your first DJ gig in just a few weeks, using any DJ controller. It assumes you know nothing about DJing – music, gear, mixing, performing, setting up in a venue – and shows you just the important stuff you need to know to get that first gig under your belt. Imagine yourself fading out the final song at the end of your first DJ set. The silence as you cut the music lasts only as long as it takes the crowd to realise the night’s over, and roars its approval in your direction! Imagine the feeling. If you’ve stared at your DJ controller not knowing where to start for weeks, months, even years, this is the course for you.
How To Digital DJ Fast is delivered online in HD video, viewable on your computer, tablet or smartphone, so you can learn anywhere. With example mixes, “over the shoulder” screen recordings and close-up technique shots, it’s everything you need to start your DJing journey in one place. What’s more, pay once and it’s yours for life, so you can take it at your own speed and refer back to it whenever you want.
What you'll learn
- How to choose confidently between all the different digital DJing methods
- How to spend your money wisely and what’s really important when choosing gear (and what isn’t)
- Where to find digital music, and get pro tips on how to build a great DJ library
- How to use DJ controllers of all types, right from the very basics – you’ll be mixing in minutes
- Our time-proven method of real beatmixing – and we promise, you’ll be doing it in no time
- All the secrets of the sync button and how to use it properly (while not making a fool of yourself)
- Authentic pro mixing techniques – the exact mixes pro DJs use that you’ve seen when out clubbing
- All about loops, cues, effects and more, including when (and when not) to use them
- What’s in pro DJ booths and how to set up your digital gear there confidently
- How to look, act and sound like the real deal when you DJ in public
Full Course Details
To digital DJ, you need to understand the various options available to you, and their relative merits and shortcomings, in order to make a confident choice as to which route to take from the off.
- You’ll learn how to choose the right laptop for DJing… or how to set up the one you have to work well for DJing
- You’ll discover the relative merits of all the main DJ programs (the course is designed for all software)
- You’ll learn what controller to buy to suit your style, budget and aspirations, and you won’t need to spend as much as you think…
- We’ll reveal what else you need to complete your digital DJ set-up including essential info about headphones, speakers and stands
A DJ is only as good as his or her music. But where do you start? How do you sift through the thousands of tunes released each week? We’ll show you a system that works.
- How to buy music in the post-record shop age, using online stores to find exactly what you want
- Places to get exclusive DJ tracks for free that other DJs may not have heard about, keeping your collection fresh
- How to use the pros to find great new records for you – it’s like having your own full-time curators working for you
- How to know which tunes to spend your hard-earned cash on… and which to avoid (you’ll thank us for this)
- How to keep a grip on your digital music collection… and why you should organise it away from your DJ software
- How to ensure the music you play sounds great… and why some digital DJs always sound so bad
DJ controllers come in all shapes and sizes, but they always appear to be more complicated than they really are. We cut through the complications and show you what’s really important.
- You’ll learn what everything does on a typical DJ controller, and why no matter which one you have, they’re all similar
- You’ll discover how to manage your DJ library when playing, so you can always find the right next tune to play in any situation
- You’ll learn why DJs “count” their beats, how it makes for seamless mixes – and how to do it in your own DJing
- You’ll master two essential mixes that will get you through nearly all DJ situations, including multi-genre and across varying tempos
- You’ll discover why sync is your best friend… yet why for many digital DJs, it is their worst enemy!
- You’ll learn the different types of sync – and why it’s essential to understand what your sync button is doing
DJs do the same thing, over and over again. Once you know the basics, you can start mixing, and then it’s just a case of building on this starting block by adding the extra skills needed.
- You’ll learn how to use the mixer and jogwheels properly – and the two purposes a modern jogwheel serves
- You’ll master beatmixing, both manual and using sync, and learn how to “nudge” to keep tunes together
- We’ll reveal real-world uses of DJ effects and loops for impressive, pro-sounding transitions even with hard-to-mix tracks
- We’ll give you a detailed talkthrough of where to beatmix tunes for great sounding transitions
- You’ll learn all the tricks for how to correct BPMs and beatgrids to transition between “difficult” tunes successfully
- You’ll be shown how to use filters and EQ controls to take control of your beatmixes and “move the audience through” your set
How to set up in a real world venue, how to make a success of the first DJ gig you’ve worked so hard towards, and how to deal with nerves, other DJs, club owners and managers, the public…
- You’ll get a practical guide to setting up in a pro DJ booth, including a demonstration of the kind of gear you’ll find there
- We’ll give you time-proven tips on how to conquer nerves and have a great time at your first gig to ensure it is a 100% success
- You’ll learn how to programme a DJ set, covering warm-up sets, peak time end of night, the difference between bars and clubs…
- We’ll show you how to manage energy levels by reading and “rotating” your crowd, for a full dancefloor every time
- We’ll reveal how good DJs “perform”: Tips on how to behave behind the decks, what’s expected of you, and how to “lead” a party