Learn how to analyse, sort and correctly mix music in key to completely revolutionise the quality of your DJ mixes. Along the way you’ll get a fascinating insight into music theory as it matters to DJs, so you actually understand what’s going on “under the hood”. The course assumes absolutely no previous musical knowledge: You don’t need to play an instrument, or understand keys, chords or scales. By the end of it you’ll have a solid understanding of both the theory and practice of keymixing, and be able to use it effectively to perform immeasurably better DJ mixes.
How To Master Keymixing is delivered online in full HD video, viewable on your computer, tablet or smartphone, so you can learn anywhere. With example mixes, “over the shoulder” screen recordings, close-up technique shots, plus downloadable charts and key wheels, it’s everything you need in one place. What’s more, pay once and it’s yours for life, so you can take it at your own speed and refer back to it whenever you want.
What you'll learn
- How to keymix in Traktor, Serato, Rekordbox, Virtual DJ and more – no additional software required
- Where to get free key analysis software, should your DJ software not have keymixing built in
- How to organise your music so that you instantly have a choice of key-compatible tunes
- How to be able to spot the difference between good and bad mixes, every time
- The reasons why certain songs mix together well and others don’t, taught using clear mix examples
- How to use loops, filters and cue points for amazing keymixes between genres and BPMs
- A “cookbook” of pro techniques to follow, adapt and use in your own DJing
- How to move around your whole music collection, while still mixing in key
- All the essential musical theory you need to talk “key” to musicians, producers and other DJs
- How to keymix using acapellas… the perfect springboard to making mashups and re-edits
Full Course Details
You’ll meet your tutor, learn what you need to bring to the table to get the most from the course, and get a summary of everything that’s covered in the following sections.
- You’ll be shown right from the off what a great keymix sounds like – this is the “holy grail” stuff that you’ll be mastering in the course
- We’ll take you step-by-step through all the elements that have to be there for a perfect keymix to work
- We’ll show you a classic example of a “bad” keymix – and again, explain what it is about it that means it doesn’t work
- We give you links to the music used throughout, so you can listen to the tracks apart to understand why they work
People go to music college and spend years learning about this stuff, but we make it easy, giving you just the “need to know” music theory essentials.
- You’ll learn about notes, keys and scales, with clear but detailed explanations of how these work together in dance music
- Sharp notes, flat notes, major keys, minor keys, chords… we lay it all bare. Want to produce music? This is your grounding
- You’ll learn why certain keys are compatible, and meet all the main “key systems” that DJs use to memorise this stuff
- We’ll introduce you to the “Circle of Fifths”, and explain what key wheels are and how DJs use them to plan harmonic mixes
- You’ll get a set of downloadable, printable charts showing all the key names, and all the “key circles” DJs use
Getting your music and software / hardware ready for keymixing is essential, and this section gives you all the steps to set yourself up for success.
- We’ll cover the two big options you have for analysing your music files to add musical key to them, so you can choose correctly
- You’ll learn how to get the key information to display correctly in your DJ software, with examples covering all major programs
- If you want to go further than your software allows, we include a summary of third party keymixing apps (both paid for and free options)
Where 90% of DJs mess up, you’re now ready and able to do this with all the knowledge and preparation necessary to succeed. This section talks you through exactly how to.
- You’ll learn the absolute essentials you need to know to mix in key, and what to look out for when choosing good keymixes
- We’ll cover how to move around the keys, and why to plan ahead of time so you’re not playing untried mixes at your gigs
- You’ll be shown how to fit keymixing in with your DJing so it becomes a trusted tool not a restrictive rule
- You’ll discover how to pick the right places to mix your tunes so your keymixing shines, but doesn’t start to get “too much”
One of the benefits of keymixing is that it gives you freedom to attempt things other DJs don’t even see, and what’s more, to pull them off. That’s what this section covers.
- You’ll discover how you can enhance genre/BPM mixes and beatmixes with keymixing, for more varied DJ sets
- We’ll reveal how to make energy boosting key shifts – one of many extra ideas here for taking keymixing further
- You’ll meet the “Key Shift Wheel”, an ingenious development of the Camelot Wheel that lets you work out how to move around the musical keys in exciting new ways