Already a member? Log in here
Serato Made Easy
If you don’t understand your DJ software inside out, you’re not only missing out on a lot of the fun of digital DJing, but you’re also setting yourself up for failure at gigs, when you’d be unable to cope should unexpected things start happening mid-performance. A thorough understanding of your DJ software, then, is not only desirable so you can enjoy your DJing more, but essential if you ever want to play out, especially if you’re planning on getting paid for DJing.
This is a complete video course, delivered online in full HD, viewable on your computer, smartphone or tablet, so you can learn anywhere. Brought to you by the expert team here at the world’s biggest online DJ training site, with “over the shoulder” screen recordings and detailed follow-alongs, it’s everything you need to master Serato in one place. What’s more, pay once and it’s yours for life, so you can take it at your own speed and refer back to it whenever you want.
What you'll learn
- How to manage your music folders and smart crates so you’re never stuck for the perfect next tune again
- How to use all the different layouts and panels to access every function easily
How to correctly import and analyse your tracks, and how to easily move playlists, crates and your whole library
- How to edit beatgrids, use sync, use the sample player, and use cues, loops and effects for tight DJ sets
- How to properly record your DJ sets, save your playlists, and even share them on Serato’s site
- How to remap controls with Midi on any Serato DJ controller to change them to do what you want
- How to connect to mixers and use audio interfaces to play on any set up – like turntables for scratching
- How to use keylock, slip mode and censor, and how to sync tracks that other DJ software can’t
- How to use Expansion Packs like Serato Flip, Serato Remote and Serato Pitch ‘N Time
Full Course Details
At the start of the course you’ll find out everything that you’re going to learn in order to get you confident with the Serato DJ software in no time.
- You’ll meet your tutor for this training, Phil Morse, and get a concise summary of what’s in the course
- You’ll learn how our courses work, as well as get tips on how to make sure you get the most from Serato Made Easy
- We’ll show you where to find and download your companion manuals, as well as get help from ours and Serato’s communities
- You’ll install Serato DJ properly on your Mac or PC, get your licence activation sorted, and meet Serato’s “offline” screen
From importing and analysing your music to plugging in and configuring all types of hardware, here’s where you’ll get ready to DJ..
- You’ll learn how to get your music from your laptop safely into Serato DJ, and how to play directly from your iTunes library
- You’ll analyse the BPMs, keys and overall musical structures of your tunes for using sync, looping and beatmatched effects
- You’ll be shown how to plug in your DJ gear, use performance mode, and get familiar with the main screen and set-up features
- Want to use existing DJ gear? You’ll discover how to get the software working with turntables and CDJs in DVS mode
Decks, library, mixer, cues and loops – get these things cracked and you’ll be well on your way to Serato mastery. We cover them all at length.
- You’ll understand how the virtual decks work and what the visual cues on the screen mean, to take full control of your music
- Serato has some cool tools to help you keep your tunes handy, so you always have the perfect track to play next. We’ll show you how
- You’ll learn about all the basic mixing and transport controls, as well as some of the less obvious but equally important features
- Serato’s cue features are powerful, and you’ll learn how to fully utilise them, covering both temporary and permanent cues
- Loops arrived with DJ CD decks, but Serato takes them much further. You’ll learn how to master them fully
Beatgridding, sync, effects, samples… Add these skills to those already taught and you’ll be taking advantage of some of the best tricks of digital DJing.
- You’ll learn about beatgridding, (which is how Serato keep sync mixing working well) including fixes to ensure it’s working right
- You’ll get the low down on Simple Sync, covering how it works and how to activate and use it right – great for ex vinyl/CDJs DJs
- You’ll master Smart Sync, which lets you move past simple, two-deck mixing and start using four decks, samples and loops
- You’ll discover Serato’s two powerful effects units, learning how they work and hearing examples of their use
- You’ll learn how to add percussion loops, samples and sound effects with Serato’s powerful Sample Player
Recording your sets, using Midi, harnessing the History panel, mastering the Preferences, and calibrating external gear… it’s all here
- You’ll learn how to record your sets to add to iTunes, upload to a mix hosting service online, even load back onto a Serato deck
- We’ll show you to change what the controls do on your DJ controller and map extra gear like keyboards, pads and mixers
- You’ll discover how to keep a record of your sets, export playlists, upload your playlists to share on Serato’s site…
- Serato’s Preferences panel has lots of settings it’s worthwhile understanding.you’ll get the full low-down
- When using vinyl or CDJs, calibration ensures smooth, accurate control. In this video. You’ll learn how to do it
- Want to burn your own control CDs? We’ll show you where to get the timecode file from to do so
Serato is always adding to Serato DJ to give those who want even more the chance to push things to the limit. So we include training on add-ons, too…
- Serato Flip is an unique way of making your own re-edits “live” and playing them back again and again. You’ll see how to master it
- Want to “remote control” Serato DJ? you’ll discover how to do so using simple iOS apps
- Using Pitch ‘N Time, you can sync key as well as tempo, for tighter, musically better sounding mixes. You’ll learn how to do it