In this week’s Friday Five, we’re leading with a piece from Mixmag that explains how to stand out as a DJ in an increasingly homogenised electronic music world. We’ve also got pieces from DJ Mag, Mixmag, DJ Techtools, and Dancing Astronaut. Have a good weekend ahead!
- How Not To Be A Copycat DJ – In a sea of “me-too” DJs playing whatever’s hot, The Secret DJ over at Mixmag implores us to be unapologetically ourselves for the sake of dance music Read more
- Why The Technics 1200 Continues To Be Influential – Five old school vinyl DJs talk about the enduring legacy of the industry standard decks, and why it still plays a crucial role in the future of DJing. DJ Mag has it Read more
- How Punk Inspires Dance Culture – Misfits, rebels, provocateurs… all synonymous with punk counterculture. Here’s how the punk ethos of the late 70s permeates dance music culture today. Mixmag has it Read more
- Personal Finance Tips For DJs – DJ Techtools shares a practical article on this often misunderstood aspect of DJ personal finance: taxes. Even if you’re not based in the US (meaning your tax laws are different) you’ll want to read this Read more
- RIP DJ AM – Today marks the 10th anniversary of the legendary open-format DJ/producer who heralded the EDM explosion that was to come in the years following his death. Check out one of final and most revered performances in this piece by Dancing Astronaut Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.