In this week’s Friday Roundup, we’ve got a piece that looks at some DJs’ misguided priority of trying to look like superstar deck wizards as soon as possible instead of putting the work in and honing their craft to become one. We’ve also got stories on acid house music history, and a bit of fun in the wake of this week’s Ultimate DJ reality show announcement. All that and more in our weekly muster of DJ news from around the web!
- Focus On The Music, Not Just The Marketing – You can buy your way into a millions-strong fanbase on Facebook, but does that make you a success? Thump explores the “easy steps” to stardom that you should definitely avoid Read more
- Dance Music Can Still Be Radical – Though clubs are often associated with hedonistic excess, there are those who recognise dance culture’s revolutionary roots and want to bring their message to the fore. Mixmag has it Read more
- The A-Z Of Acid – Too young to know why acid house was all the rage in the 80s? Get up to speed in this comprehensive Mixmag feature Read more
- Where To Find Loops And Acapellas For Remixing – DJ Techtools lists some online sources where you can get the sounds you need to craft your next production Read more
- This DJ Performs Without Arms – Get inspired by this DJ who performs using only his feet. Your EDM has the video Watch it
- These Are The Challenges We Absolutely Must See On “Ultimate DJ” Show – Simon Cowell’s reality show contest for DJs has been given the green light (for better or worse). What are the skill tests and going to be like? Thump has a few suggestions… Read more
Think crafting an image is becoming deceptively more important than learning the ropes? Have a bone to pick with all these reality TV shows about DJs? Do give us a comment on any of the articles above.