Last updated 5 April, 2019
In this week’s Friday Five, we’re leading with a piece from Mixmag on why all DJs go through rough times, even the biggest and most popular DJs who seem to have it all. We’ve also got articles from Resident Advisor, Hip Hop DX, Book More Brides and Pioneer DJ. Have a great weekend ahead!
- If You’re Serious About Being A DJ, Nothing Will Stop You – Practical, no-nonsense advice for when you feel like you’re “washed up” or aren’t making any progress in your DJing. Mixmag has it Read more
- The Art Of DJing: Jeff Mills – The legendary Detroit techno pioneer talks about how he DJs and how he prefers to stay on the cutting edge of dance music instead of indulging in nostalgia. Resident Advisor has it Read more
- How A DJ Wins Red Bull 3Style Three Times – A crowd favourite and a DJ’s DJ, current Red Bull 3Style champ J Espinosa explains how learning from the past prepared him to take home the crown at this year’s Red Bull 3Style finals. Hip Hop DX has it Read more
- Is This The Worst DJ Set Ever? – KFC (yes, the fried chicken fast food chain) pulled a bizarre stunt this week at Ultra Music Festival in Miami, and it had DJs and festival-goers in an uproar. Find out what all the fuss is about in this piece from Mixmag (and read our hot take on it too) Read more
- How Festivals Took Over Dance Music – Pioneer DJ and DJ Sounds have just put out a documentary on how electronic music festivals have captured the dance culture zeitgeist Watch it
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.