In this week’s Friday Five, we lead with a piece from Mixmag that lists 10 historic music venues where some of the greatest dance music genres were born. We’ve also got pieces from Magnetic Magazine, Bandzoogle, Highsnobiety, and DJ Mag. Have a fantastic weekend ahead!
- 10 Venues Where Dance Genres Were Invented – Where was house music born? How’d dubstep come about? Brush up on your dance music history with this article by Mixmag that looks at iconic clubs and bars where some of the biggest dance genres were created Read more
- Richie Hawtin Interviewed – The Plastikman chats with lifestyle blog Highsnobiety and he shares his approach towards performing electronic music in a “post-EDM” world, as well as his fascination with sake and how his drink of choice intertwines with the music he creates Read more
- Why Music Is So Important In Our Lives – Music is so intrinsically linked to being human that we sometimes take it for granted, no matter how much we love it. This piece by Magnetic Magazine explores why music is present in practically all cultures, and why we need to give it more emphasis in our lives instead of relegating it to the background Read more
- 10 Principles Of Great Music Web Design – If your DJ site still looks like it was made in the 90s (or if you’re just starting to make one) check out these tips from Bandzoogle on building a website that looks crisp, works great, and gives people a reason to visit (also check out our free video lesson on what every DJ website needs over on Facebook) Read more
- DJ Mag Top 100 Revealed – It’s that time of the year again when DJ Mag releases its annual list of the “best” DJs in the world. Did your favourites (and undesirables) make it on the chart? Read on to find out Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.