In this week’s Friday Five, we’re leading with a piece from The Guardian that looks at a handful of major shifts in clubbing and how they’ve changed today’s dance music scene. We’ve also got articles from Pitchfork, Mixmag, Digital Music News and DJ Mag. Have a great weekend!
- The New Rules Of Clubbing – From safe spaces that extend beyond LGBT-inclusive dancefloors to spacehoppers and ball pits, a “night out” dancing continues to evolve, reflecting current social and political issues. Get up to speed with some of the biggest changes in this piece by The Guardian Read more
- Stop Calling DJs “Eclectic” – If you mix a disco track with a tech house tune in your sets, does that make you an eclectic selector? This piece by Mixmag argues that it’s more than just dropping big bucks for rare vinyl on Discogs Read more
- Mapped: The Musical Universe – Explore and power up your music discovery sessions with this interactive AI-generated map that shows how over 300,000 musicians and artists are connected. Digital Music News has it Read more
- How Journalists Turned Hip-Hop Into A Literary Movement – Rap’s popularity in the 80s and 90s fuelled underground zines and print magazines focused solely on hip-hop culture. Trace the rise and eventual fall of these publications in this piece by Pitchfork Read more
- You Don’t Need Music School To Be A Megastar DJ/Producer – EDM prodigy and anthem-whiz Alan Walker shares how he got started making tunes just by watching online tutorials and being diligent enough to practice and hone his craft Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.