Over To You: Where Can I Get DJ Insurance?

Christian Yates
Read time: 2 mins
Last updated 24 March, 2018

Digital DJ Tips reader Bengey asks: “I live in New York City and I want to know more about DJ insurance. I’ve been DJing for a few years now, and most of the time venues or halls don’t ask for it. Recently, however, I have been asked if I had any DJ insurance coverage. Can you give me more info about it and the top insurance places I should check out on the web?”

Digital DJ Tips says…

Good question, Bengey. It depends on what kind of DJ you are: club, mobile or both. Clubs usually have their own public liability insurance (the terminology might be slightly different where you live) but if you are a mobile DJ, you will need to have your own. This insurance provides protection for yourself and your guests in the extremely unlikely event that anything dangerous happens as a result of your work or equipment.

If you are transporting your own gear to and from gigs, you should also look make sure your equipment is covered when in transit. In the US, this is known as inland marine insurance. If you have all your gear in the back of your car and someone smashes into you, your standard car insurance is unlikely to cover the cost of replacing your damaged / destroyed equipment. Whether this is a hobby that pays or your livelihood, it is better to be safe than sorry. You can enquire about adding extra cover with your current insurer or as part of your DJ policy. You could end up working at a club with a dishonest owner or manager. They may refuse to pay you, or someone employed by the club may steal some of your equipment. In case this ever happens, it’s a good idea to invest in commercial crime protection insurance.

Let’s say you’ve managed to get your gear to the gig safely and have set up. Five minutes later, someone spills a full shandy over your mixer and says “oh, I’m ever so sorry, it was an accident”. Sure accidents happen, but this is an expensive accident. Who is going to foot the bill? This is why it is important to make sure that you are covered. You should have it written into your contract who is liable to pay the excess charge as well, should one exist.

As far as the actual insurance goes, your best bet to find DJ-specific insurance is by speaking to other local DJs and by asking a local DJ association for advice. Or, of course, our readers…

So, over to you: Do you have DJ insurance? What does it cover? How often are you asked to provide proof of insurance before your events? Are you in NYC and can you help Bengey? Let us (and him) know in the comments below…

Click here for your free DJ Gear and software guide