Controller Clinic #18: Can I DJ Weddings & Bars With The Novation Twitch?

novation twitch

The Novation Twitch is a cool, modern controller with lots of performance features... but is it appropriate for a bar or wedding DJ?
Pic from: Uniquesquared

Digital DJ Tips reader Scott writes: "I am looking at purchasing my first controller and although I am familiar with Ableton I am new to DJing. I have friends who are turntablists but at heart I think I am a controllerist. I would like to get out there and DJ to a crowd ASAP - maybe even bars and weddings, as I love music although it would be useful to make some extra cash. Originally I had thought the Denon DJ MC2000, but decided the extra input backup and levels on the Denon DJ MC3000 would be a better choice. My dilemma is that I like the idea of the Novation Twitch and its features but I am concerned that this may not be as applicable to the type of crowds I hope to entertain."

"Do you think the Twitch be fine for the scenarios above, or would you suggest I go for a more conventional controller such as the Denon? I also intend to do your four-week DJ course over Xmas :)"

For bars and weddings, it's possible to use the Twitch as there's not a massive leap between using a touchstrip to cue your tunes and using a jogwheel. As the course teaches , it's completely possible to get gig-ready on just about any controller. The controller you use is actually pretty unimportant in the mix of skills you need to get gig-ready.

So to your choices. If you wanted to go with the Denon DJ MC2000 and upgrade to Serato DJ, you'd get VU meters on screen anyway, so the lack of VUs on the main unit isn't so much of an issue. I actually really like the MC2000 - it's a great little basic controller. But the Twitch might be better value for you, because when the new Serato DJ software becomes available for it early next year (currently it comes with Serato ITCH, which is fine, by the way) the upgrade will be free, unlike if you buy the MC2000 (which only comes with Serato DJ Intro software) which commands a fee for the upgrade. If you want to get heavily into "controllerism" - as in button-bashing rather than playing and mixing music - you might want to look at Traktor Pro 2 rather than a Serato controller, because its Kontrol F1 / Remix Decks paradigm is excellent for such things. Be aware though that it's always going to be totally inappropriate for bar / wedding DJing!

If it were me? I'd probably go for the Denon MC3000 plus a copy of Traktor Pro 2 (it's not expensive to buy the "Pro" Traktor software nowadays), which is an appropriate set-up for DJing weddings/bars, but means you can add a Kontrol F1 and experiment with the more controllerism aspects of DJing later should you wish. Or, buy the F1 at the same time, because you get a free copy of Traktor Pro with it so you can knock a chunk of cash off its purchase price.

So, do you think it's OK to DJ in bars and at weddings etc using a Novation Twitch? Or should our reader go for a more "conventional" controller? What's you experience? Please share your thoughts in the comments.

Get access to all our free DJ training!

Join 100,000 Digital DJ Tips members to get access to an exclusive area of all our free training articles & resources plus twice-weekly emails with the best of our tutorials, reviews and DJ news. It’s free, and you can unsubscribe at any time!

Comments

1. i use a MC3000 for my djing in bars and small clubs…

2. This is a very good question. I do about 75% weddings, with the rest being birthdays and so on. I also occasionally DJ in bars.

I moved from a hardware based MP3 Player (Denon HD2500) to Traktor Pro about 3 years ago after looking at the alternatives such as Virtual DJ, OTS and Serato. It took a while but I finally decided Traktor was the one for me.

I like to mix mainly based around 8 or 16 beat loop points or well placed cue points to ‘chop’ between tracks. I shamelessly use the Sync button! It’s about me providing the best experience to the customer as possible, not about whether i can beatmix or not (I can!).

So with Traktor as the weapon of choice, Native Instruments had just launched the X1 Controller so I bought one. This is routed through a Native Instruments Audio 4 into my Denon X500 mixer. In 3 years I’ve looked at other controllers and none of them seem to do such a good job as my current setup for the work that I do.

The X500 has 8 inputs matrixed across 4 faders, so i can have a backup soundcard plus room for an Ipod, Jack and RCA inputs (covering backup and all eventualities). In addition to this I can run 2 mics, one wired and one radio. Again, great for backup but also for impromptu speeches. Best of all the X500 fits in a 10u flight case with a laptop sliding shelf along with a DMX lighting controller, radio mix receiver, 5 way power, 2 soundcards and laptop power supply. I sit the X1 and Laptop on the laptop shelf, plug in my powered speakers and I am pretty much ready to go for a wedding.

When I work in a bar, I normally take a soundcard out of my case and just take the X1 and laptop and plug into their mixer, however this is a pain so i am considering a standalone controller.

For me I would go down this route.
    – If the venue has a mixer already, choose the controller that best suits your mixing style and the software you want to use. For me this would be the Traktor S2 … probably ;-) … you’ll want to run your mic and backup (ipod etc) through their mixer as it will sound better than routed through most of the controllers on the market right now.
    – If you are doing venues without a mixer or weddings where you need to take your own kit, then consider a ‘separates’ solution like mine, or perhaps something like the MC6000, VCI400 that have better microphone facilities than the basic one on the MC3000. I know a couple of DJ that use the MC6000, but with mixed results and personally I’ve never got on with those rubbery Denon buttons (they never seem to be that reliable). If you need to take your own kit, don’t be tempted to be buy something like the Twitch i’d say as you’ll just end up routing it into another mixer that has the facilities that the Twitch is lack and then you end up carrying more kit than you really need to.

Hope this helps.

3. Romil Catabona says:

Hi there, I’m from the Philippines, i’m a mobile dj and regularly dj at weddings and debuts. I used to dj with a Behringer BCD2000 using Traktor and did just fine. Recently, I replaced it with a Stanton DJC.4 and still using it with Traktor. It really wouldn’t matter what controller you decide to dj with. Because it will always come down to your dj skill. BTW, the DJC.4 is a good controller for its price, pitch faders and jog wheels are great, you can learn to beat match with it just like on conventional dj gear. You might want to consider that too…

4. scooterADAM says:

I have used a twitch with itch to DJ house parties and twitch as a traktor controller to DJ private parties and at bars.

IMO it depends on what type of music you are going to be playing. The twitch controller is great for quantized electronic music that can be synced.

Given that there is no pitch fader it is not ideal for beatmatching and riding the fader for non quantized music. You can get around this by preprocessing all your tracks in Itch with the elastic beat grids but this can take quite a bit of time. In Traktor it is a bit of a nonstarter for non quantized music because of its fixed beat gridding system and with no way to ride the pitch fader I wouldn’t reccommend it.

I love the twitch, still my favourite controller of all time but you have to be realistic about what you are doing to do with it. If its sync on all the time with preprocessed tracks: itch/twitch, if its sync on all the time with strictly quantized tracks: twitch with traktor or itch.

Assuming the second case where you don’t need to use elastic beat grids then it come down to whether you like traktor or itch better. For me the FX in traktor sound better but itch’s looping &slicing options and fader fx are more fun to use.

If you go for the twitch I reccomend to change the knobs as soon as you can and if using traktor d/l either the bread or viper map from DJTT.

Finally I think there is still no real competition for the twitch in terms of how portable but fully featured it is. I love being able to sit on the couch with it on my lap and try stuff out. Not so much with my vci380 which is awesome but is a heavy beast!

• DJ Forced Hand says:

I take issue with your statement: “Given that there is no pitch fader…” The “pitch fader” on the Twitch is the “Tempo” knob and it has both a slow (or accurate) and fast (or coarse) option (depending on whether you’re pressing in while turning it or not)… it has no linear limits so you have more freedom to run tracks all the way down to ZERO B.P.M. if you wanted to. I think this is an improvement over the linear slider. You can also drag or push the touch-strip (just like a record) to manually beat-match.

5. Basicly, you can dj with mouse and dj software, if you are not doing anything that need 2 hands. If you want to pre-listen music, you’ll also need a sound card with more than one outputs. If you want to control play/stop buttons and sliders with controller, almost any controller on the market will work. If you want to do something more technical, then buy a bit more expensive controller. I would always choose one with a sound card. Twitch comes with good software and it’s very small. You can do a lot of basic things and some more advanced tricks with it.

• Dennis Parrott says:

If you do NOTHING ELSE invest some cash in a great external sound card!!!!! Playback of your music will be greatly improved over using the headphone jack.

Even tone-deaf bar owners will hear the difference. My kid was DJing in a local bar and when she plugged in the Audio 2 DJ I bought her, the owner was floored by how much better she sounded vs. the other punters who typically played there.

6. I am a happy owner of a twitch. I use it for a wide style of different music from EBM and Industrial to 8bit and chill out bar tunes. I have never felt that I did a bad choice for me. I does very well mixing loops on beat but I have had no problem mixing genres on it either or jumping between tempos. The touch strips works well for me. I’m not saying it’s right for everyone but for me it’s awesome.

I used to use it with Itch but jumped train to Traktor because of the greater configurability options it gave me. I’m coming from Ableton so I am a bit spoiled with options.

I bought an F1 a few months ago, that and the twitch gives me an almost unlimited level of creativity.

The only thing I could say is that the output from the twitch can be a bit low, the quality of the sound is good though mind you. This is almost never any problem unless you are somewhere where the sound engineer has soldered the volume on the mixer in place and went home (Actually happened me once) Then I had problem getting the volume I wanted. Not the twitchs fault, but the fault of a bad sound engineer. But if I DJ there again I might consider to bring a headphone amp or something similar.

I also like the size of it. It easily fits in a normal backpack with my computer, F1 and other gear.

Try to find a place that has it so you can check if touchstrips id something for you before you buy it.

• DJ Forced Hand says:

Seriously, I would put a Novation Twitch up against any other controller. You can’t beat the cross-point of price, efficiency (the controller is about the size of a laptop, but has more controls than a Kontrol S2), quality (the Sound card is amongst the best in the industry) and capability (this is the first of the Serato “slicer mode” controllers with an array of 4×2 buttons grouped under 4 categories *per deck* and a Needle search function which replaces the need for (and space occupied by) a jog wheel. There are more expensive controllers that don’t work with Serato Itch, Traktor Pro or Ableton and yet this controller still swings with the best of ‘em while out performing most.

7. you can dj bars and weddings with a copy of itunes…lol the twitch is for the likes of richie hawtin. The is really no need for that kinda control unless ure mixing techno :)

• Dennis Parrott says:

Using iTunes leads to DEAD AIR between songs, has no ability to cue to where you want to start playing and iTunes 11 is a flat-out DOG performance-wise.

You don’t have to an Ean Golden or Richie Hawtin to need professional software. Someone aspiring to be a pro should be using the same tools as those he wants to emulate/surpass.

8. As said earlier, you can DJ bars and weddings with any controller. Some om them may be overkill, but they will still work fine.

I use either an old Hercules Steel + NI DJ2 soundcard (better sound) or an MC3000 (simpler setup and better controller), and either VDJ-Pro or Traktor2 – they all do the trick fine

/Klaus

• I forgot my point :-S

Buy your controller and software based on your next move, not on the wedding and bar gigs, which they will al do

9. While I think that the twitch is a great controller, I strongly echo the feeling that you should build a modular kit. If all the sudden you begin to enjoy DJing weddings or bars more than you originally thought, a modular kit that you can expand and can grow along with you will end up saving you money in the long run.

10. Hey,

I’ve dj’ed with a Twitch for about a year now and I’ve played EVERY event and location imaginable. The key is not really about the hardware, but more so about your dj philosophy. At weddings and commercial events, you want to keep things smooth and simple with clean transitions, not necessarily using all the features of the TWITCH. The crowd will want to hear familiar songs and not TOO many remixes or mashups.

In the larger, more dancy venues the TWITCH allows you to do some incredible things…in regards to the filters on the faders, chaining a third input your auxillary (and FX on those) and the cue pads (with the slicer feature) are amazing.

Preparation, practice and playlists are more important than anything though, especially with an advanced controller. I always add as many cue points as possible to each track and practice a LOT to see what works well together.

If the fundamentals, dj theory and song selection is there, you can dj on ANY controller at any function, but the TWITCH has kept me working for the past year.

Just my two cents. :)

— L

11. I Think Novation Twitch and Serato is perfect. If your not into Jog Wheels then don’t do it. If you buy what you don’t like you will not like it. If you go to Traktor in the long run you can always add the DN SC2000 controller to your Twitch set up.

12. I Use A Novation Twitch At Bars, Weddings, Christmas Parties, So yes, The Answer Is Yes, As Long As You/They Have An Amplifier & Speakers For You To Connect To…

13. I was considering getting Twitch but was a little concerned when I read the Novation forums and saw a lot of issues (mostly volume) and an apparent lack of customer support. Has anyone experienced any problems so far with Novation and Twitch support?

• DJ Forced Hand says:

You’re too concerned about a little detail. They had to find something bad about this otherwise very capable, innovative controller so they focused on “low output volume.” Fixing this problem is not a real issue and can be done with no additional equipment *OR* a pre-amp box (depending on your configuration).

14. DJ Forced Hand says:

Yes, you can DJ weddings with a Novation Twitch… you can also rock the floors at a local club the same night. Your concern was that you were thinking about trying some of the more complex Controllerism techniques and the Twitch has your CDJ players beat at least with buttons and in Traktor, you’ve got the option for 4 (2+2) deck control. Will people care that you’re not using vinyl at the wedding? Most-likely No. If someone ever steps up to you and says you’re not a real DJ, agree with them and keep taking their money.

15. I also start to think that a modular approach is better long term. Good example is bass gear, you could mix-and-match amps and one or more cabs. Same with DJ gear.

• I kind of agree, but that approach only works with Ableton and Traktor as they have midi-mapping. Itch only have midi mapping for a secondary controller i.e you still need a Serato verified controller plugged in as a hardware dongle for the software to work.

But twitch cover most of my needs, If I could use Novation Launchpad with the remix decks I would, but now I had to get an F1 which I think is a bit weak of Native, not to allow mapping of the whole remix deck via midi. But that is another discussion.

Anyway, I have had problem to find controllers that filled my need/wasn’t to expansive/not to big. I looked at faderfox and behringer and a lot of places, and my conclusion was that twitch was the sweet spot for me.

Aaaaaany how, I think it is important to first figure out what your needs are before running of and buying a controller/grear/house. I also think it is good to have something that gives you room to grew as an artist but still isn’t overwhelming.

16. honestly you can use ANY controller. ALL controllers can do at least as much as CDJs can do, and CDJs can be used for ANY type of party!! Just get the best you can afford – I highly recommend a Kontrol S2

17. My opinion…which controller isn’t the issue. I would rather think about which software to use for weddings. For weddings you’re better of with Virtual DJ. Why? Besides music… you can use it for photoslides from the weddingday or earlier photos, video from the couple (buy a projector & screen). This gives you a promotional advantage before regular wedding-dj’s. Or use this feature as an optional selling-packet.

• I’d second this actually – VDJ better for weddings/parties, not just for videos but the automix feature is good enough for this type of mixing (mostly non-beat matched) it’s also less resource hungry which can allow you to download tracks from the net whilst it’s playing if need be…

18. Jam-Master Jake says:

I DJ’d with a Twitch for a year. It’s more than capable for any type of venue, it’s cheap ($400 or less), works with Itch OR Traktor Pro, fits in any DJ backpack/record bag, sounds great, and is fully featured.

It also has a few problems. 1) Despite what DJ Forced Hand says, MANY Twitch owners are having problems with output levels on it. I use it to spin on the air at the radio station I jock at, as well as in clubs/bars and mobile gigs. I have to crank the gains so the channel level meters are PEGGED, crank the master output volume to almost 100%, and then crank the main amps for the PA much higher than they normally would be just to get decent sound levels. (And no, the main amp levels are NOT in the red.) 2) The Twitch is also 100% USB-powered (which is the main reason why the audio output is generally on the quiet side). This means that if your laptop dies, your Twitch also dies and you’re shut down and screwed if you don’t have a backup. 3) It has a mic input and simple controls for turning it on and adjusting its levels…but it doesn’t have a built-in preamp for the mic, so you’ll need to use either a powered mic or have another source for phantom power. This is something to consider for mobile gigs. I’ve always run my Twitch into an external mixer that allows me to run a microphone and an iPod into it for backup purposes.

There’s a lot of love for the Twitch, and it’s understandable. It’s the most portable, functional, full-featured, intuitive, and downright fun controller you can get for the money, and it costs about the same amount as many entry-level controllers, yet comes with professional software. And don’t forget that the FREE Serato DJ upgrade is coming to Twitch in just a few short months. I love mine–I now use it as my backup controller (I moved up to the Pioneer DDJ-SX last month). It’s an incredible unit that will serve you well for nearly any DJing situation…HOWEVER, I humbly think there are definitely better solutions out there for mobile DJ gigs. If you’re doing mostly mobile work, I’d look elsewhere. For house parties, bars, clubs, etc. you’re in great shape.

Good luck!

19. Again like some have said before, look at software for what you ultimately wanna accomplish in the long run. This alone cuts down the hunt for controllers, but you can of course use your gear for any event! It’s not the gear that plays the biggest part but sound management. If you have ways to get the optimum sound out, controllers a controller. Explore sound ins & outs first, then tricks & buttons…

20. I love, love, LOVE my Twitch. I’ve written love letters to Novation to tell them as much. Seriously, I can’t get over how much I adore this little monster.

NOW! That being said, yes, there are some drawbacks. No external power, I’ve had my Traktor die numerous times and take my little Twitch with it. That sucks for sure. Yes, there’s no if’s, and’s or but’s about it, the output signal sucks. Again, it’s USB powered, what did you expect was going to happen? It’s just how this thing works. There is, however a very simple workaround, pick up a Behringer Xenyx 802 board mixer, $60 with shipping and that problem is solved. Doesn’t have to be that model, but you need something to boost the signal.

I promise you though, that extra step is SO worth it to get to play with the Twitch. I’m madly, hopelessly, in love with it. Jog wheels? Pffft, who needs them? And as said earlier in the thread, Itch is dead. Itch sucks. Traktor is what you need to make the most of the Twitch, I think even Novation knows that because it includes a very precise overlay for Traktor. Now, April of 2013 comes with the inclusion of the Twitch to Serato DJ, then perhaps the game changes. For now, go Traktor.

All that being said, I’m a bar DJ. I also mix, not because anyone in that whole place gives a hoot about my mixing but because the Twitch lets me do whatever the heck I want. Wedding? I can guarantee you NOBODY is there to here you mix anything. Fade the songs, use FX to beat mask, pick the right songs for the right moods, the Twitch is MORE than up to the tasks. Except that last one, that’s all you my friend.

• DJ Forced Hand says:

I totally agree, yes, the output sound is low comparatively to other mixers but it’s nothing amplification cannot solve. You’ve hit the nail square on the head.

• danny Blanco says:

To add to this topic this 2013 I want to get my gear I was looking into getting the pioneer ddj sx but the local djs here in houston tell me to get cdjs and a good mixer now im confused pls help me get a clearer picture on what to get

21. I love my Twitch. Compact and portable, bus powered, and a great price. You can play any event with it. The 0Db output work perfectly with powered PA speakers. It is my first controller after using a crappy old cd mixer combo for years, and I’m never going back.

22. I am a wedding DJ and use an Denon 6000 with trakor and i also do some club and bar type events.

If your just starting out I think traktors S2 would give me more options. At the end of the day its not about the equipment but more about your passion, talent and style.

If your doing weddings one thing to note is you may need 2 mics. The 6000 has 2 mic inputs.

When i do club or bar gigs that have a mixer i been using just the x1 and A6 sound card.

23. The Twitch is perfect for all uses.

You do need to plug in directly to the P.A. console to boost de dBs.

The controller is about -15dB when plugged into most DJ Mixers.

So you do need the amplification when patch it in in a DJ Mixers. Thus, I use it with an external 4-ch. console just to have my hands on, to control the gain.

24. I have no idea why anyone could NOT DJ with the Twitch at bars or weddings.

Basically, the Twitch does everything other midi controllers do, in a smaller and lighter package.

The only thing that you can’t do properly with the Twitch, is scratching. That’s all.

Apart from that, and the output level that makes the Twitch unsuitable if you absolutely need to plug your controller directly into the PA without a mixer (an extremely unlikely case in my experience), the Twitch does EVERYTHING you need from DJ controller.

Several “opinions” here are obviously from people who have a very distorted view of this controller, and have absolutely no idea what its features actually are!

At the core, The Twitch is a FULL BLOWN DJ controller which simply has touchstripes instead of jogwheels…

I use it for all sorts of events: weddings, bars, parties, clubs. It’s always perfect because I don’t scratch.

What is is lacking, though, is the “cool factor” that makes non-DJ people go “wow”. It looks very professional, but kind bland. Personally I feel it’s a factor to be considered as a DJ (unless you’re in a closed booth and no one sees your gear) because we DJs are putting up a show.

So I’ll soon get a Vestax VCI-380 which does exactly the same as the Twitch do but with jogwheels, and has this “cool factor” for non-DJs… ;-)

25. Ryan Burnett says:

Hey guys – I am going to buy this great little controller in a few days. I dont want to spend a fortune on speakers for them so I am thinking of using a very good pair of PC speakers (Logitech z623’s) They seem pretty good, but im not sure if the twitch will plug into them – they dont have left right inputs into the speakers as they connect to the sub, but there are two AUX in cords. Do you think the twitch’s master outs will go into that? Please help guys… Im not partucularly tech savvy!

26. Was Googling to find out what kinda of mic preamps my Twitch’s have and ran across this old thread.

I have two Novation Twitch’s (one for backup and to sit in the studio) and I have used them on all manner of event, including weddings for almost three years now. I have a small mobile DJ business that I make a living from. I’ve used many controllers, keep up with them but this was the controller I grabbed when I made the jump from CDs and I’ve never looked back.

I’m running off of Serato Itch as Serato DJ really screwed up the work-flow. I’ve not monkeyed around with Traktor in a long while.

Having done weddings, corporate events, private parties, bar stuff, convention work and big club stuff and even some broadcast time (and I know a prod guy who uses this at one of the home offices of one of the BIG radio groups) with this, I can think of no reason -not- to use this controller.

As we all know at this point, while the Novation Twitch wasn’t particularly well-received, many of the functions were by other companies and most controllers now look a whole lot like a Twitch with big wheels and perhaps more faders.

One concern has come up with these things as the default sound settings on Serato leave it pretty cold. Given that Serato has a very exactly limiter, this can be a problem when there’s an under powered sound system involved. Also, levels can be boosted under the Serato setup, this means dialing the gains to about a third open, leaving less control there. In a pinch I can run straight to my mains/amps, but since I’m often working with other djs anyway, submix into a portable mixing console (was using a Soundcraft EMP6, just got a Mackie MIX5 for fifty bucks).

I’ve skimmed some of the replies here. OK,is the Denon MC-whatever still even a viable choice? C’mon! The Twitch rocked the controller industry.

For transport controls, familiarize yourself with the two DROP modes (everything on this controller has multiple functions). Press drop once and drop someplace in the track. Press DROP again and the button flashes. Now use the touchstrip as a fast forward/rewind at rates determines by how far out from center you slide your finger.

Also, at least with running Serato Itch, Twitch users have 16 HOTCUE points PER TRACK (saved loops act as hotcues). Make use of them. Getting around a track with these is a whole lot easier IMHO than with wheels, so why reinvent them?

As for smooth transitions, well, The Twitch can do all manner of quirky things, but to it’s credit, I’ve come up with some of the smoothest transitions on-the-fly in my now 17 years of deejaying. This seems self-evident to me, but using loops and hotcues to juggle into the next track, perhaps employing high pass filters and echoes on a track, rather than fading can be very subtle, and make a set far more connected and smooth (hence why these functions are on other controllers now).

As a whole, I’ve been able to take even the moldiest of oldies, using the exacting nature of the Twitch and all these neato buttons, reworked some of these songs with amazing results on the dance floor. Did I mention, I was running live?

But if you really want to take the boring approach, Twitch users still have more control over their tracks, then go for it! None of the Twitch functions remotely inhibit a dj from the same ole’ segueways and 8-measure beatmatch transitions. Touchstrip in SWIPE mode and get things very exacting, even with live drums. Of course, one function I’ve not really needed was the SYNCH button. No hate for those who use it. I just prefer having more control and DON’T NEED IT.

Cliche stuff at weddings? Look, I like the good underground stuff: EBM, Industrial, 8-bit, Vaporwave, etc, but a man’s gotta eat. Instead of spinning The Wobble two or three times, I do it ONCE. With the hotcues and loops, I’ll bounce around a track seemlessly and stretch it out until the crowd is ready to let the damned song die.

Size: My girlfriend runs off of a Pioneer DDJ sx and it’s nice for an expensive imitation of my Twitch. It’s also a MASSIVE kitchen-sink controller. Guys, I can now fit everything to the amp, including mixer, microphone controller and computer in a laptop bag (not even a huge one). One of the advantages I have over most mobile jocks right now is that I keep my setups compact. The Twitch sits in a 20-dollar laptop stand. My entire setup before amps takes up less than half of a card-table (2-3 square feet). For those of you who do weddings but aren’t hired to plan them, you know good and well that you’ll get stuck in some tight corners. Forget keyboard stands, guys and gals, I’m looking for a small collapsible lecturn for my rig; smaller the better. Are weddings about BIG GEAR or are they about the bride (and groom)? I keep it small without skimping on the WOW factor (sound and lights fit in a small four-door) and the Twitch is a significant part of that. Oh and um, I don’t get ANY flack from the turntabilist crowd and fans, either. People walk up, see what I’m running on and get wide-eyed confused, including other djs. It’s a confounding, mysterious and impressive squarish thing.

If you’re comfortable using a Twitch, then use it for ANY gig, period.