In this week’s Friday Five, we’re leading with a piece from The Guardian on why the warm, fuzzy feeling you get from feeling nostalgic is actually a good thing. We’ve also got pieces from Mixmag, Resident Advisor, DJ Mag and The New Yorker. Have a great weekend ahead!
- Why Nostalgia Is A Powerful Tool For Connection – Music can evoke strong feelings of community and motivation by transporting listeners to another place and time. If you play a lot of throwback DJ sets, you’ll want to read this – The Guardian has it Read more (The Guardian has since removed the article)
- How Instagram Is Changing Festival & Club Design – Of all the social media platforms available today, Instagram is perhaps the most influential, with over 700,000 users under the age of 35. Here’s how it’s changing the way clubs and festivals are made. Mixmag has it Read more
- The Art Of Production: Abby Echiverri – What happens when you cross-pollinate DJ/producing with good ol’ electrical engineering? Resident Advisor shines a light on the technical musicality found in NYC-based Abby Echiverri’s artistry Read more
- DJ Mag’s Artists To Watch In 2020 – These are the DJs and music producers you should have your eyes on according to DJ Mag Read more
- How DJ Shadow Constructs His Music – The esteemed beatmaker, producer and modern sampling pioneer takes you through how he put together his latest album using sounds found on various analogue media. The New Yorker has it Read more
Feel free to comment on any of the articles in the section below.