New DJ Streaming Site Lets The World Watch You Play

Chew

Chew is a new service that lets you video broadcast your DJ sets in real time.

A new live streaming site for DJs launched recently, called Chew. It's a free service that lets you broadcast both video and audio of your DJ set, whether you're in the club or in your bedroom. You can use a laptop with a webcam or a professional camera set-up to stream your DJ sets, and soon you'll be able to stream using your mobile device too (the Chew mobile app is currently in an early testing stage).

While we always recommend making mixtapes for both improving your skills and marketing yourself as a DJ, broadcasting your DJ sessions live is another great way to intensify your practice sessions: It's possible to receive immediate feedback on your performance, and - especially if you don't DJ out as much as you'd like - it's a good way of getting at least some of that "buzz".

Of course, A video broadcast also lets folk see how you perform while you're DJing, which is becoming more and more important these days. One to watch (pun intended!).

• Check out the Chew website to watch streams and to sign up for a free account.

Have you tried live broadcasting your DJ sets before using Ustream or similar? Does a service like this specifically for DJs appeal to you? Let us know in the comments.

Get access to all our free DJ training!

Join over 150,000 Digital DJ Tips members to get exclusive free DJ training videos, articles & resources plus twice-weekly emails with the best of our tutorials, reviews and DJ news. It’s free, and you can unsubscribe at any time!

Comments

1. Irvin Cee says:

I use to do it a lot on ustream, but I stopped with it because after a while the "new" is gone.
    The commercials can be very anoying on ustream.
    So you wind up beeing the only vieuwer after a while :-(
    Since then I record on disk and upload them to youtube, so people can watch them and more importantly find them on their own.
    Maybe a site dedicated to DJ streaming will have more succes. But then you also have Mixify dooing exactly that for a while already.

Greetz
    Irv.

• The only problem with mixify is that the developers are not doing anything anymore for it and the page is bleeding out by to many dj's and almost no promotion to get people to the site.

I played there for 1,5 years and I can say that 80% of the people listening there are dj's who play on the site themselves.

2. I thought about doing this on the PS4 for some exposure but never got around to it.

3. Keith Horn says:

I used to use ustream but found £60 a month a bit steep as i wasnt getting the use out of it , I stumbled across mixlive.tv by accident , Its a great site dedicated to Dj's and producers , easy to navigate and easy to broadcast as you dont have to be tech geek to set everything up + the staff are friendly and on line a lot putting their own shows on . It only costs $19 FOR UNLIMITED BROADCASTING WITH NO ADS! In fact when i joined they whether doing a special offer of $9 a month and i think they may still be running it as the site is still in it infancy . Its defo worth a look as is the site in this review , i'll certainly be checking it out but for the price , in my book you cant beat mixlive.tv ! p.s I dont work in any way shape or form for the site, just in case you were thinking i did :0)~~

• @chewofficial says:

Thanks for the feedback Keith. Making Chew free was one of the key learnings we got when we did our research prior to building Chew - we tried to charge for it when we were experimenting with a previous version and had next to no success in getting DJs to sign up.

We're free for a reason and so far our DJs seem to approve of this fact! Be great to hear your thoughts if you do try us out :)

4. Every 5-7 years someone thinks they've stumbled onto this great untapped market of online streaming of DJing. I see nothing different here that would lead me to believe anything has changed. People don't want Max Headroom (cultural reference to the '80s) DJing over a little box. There's a sense of intimacy that's missing when the DJ isn't there, just like having a conversation over video phone.

• Chew TV says:

Thanks for the feedback Cusp - be great to hear what it is you think is missing so we can improve on what we've got. We are only four months old so lots more coming!

• The best thing you can do is to encourage turning a live, raw, data stream from a DJ gig into something like a TV show. Seriously, I dare anyone to sit through a full stream of a DJ just doing their thing without losinv interest before the set is done.

I was a consultant for a web audio stream once, and I suggested a countdown to commercial timer and a maximum of two 45 second push-backs to make the stream free to the user (which they ignored).

You are trying to engage remote users to an event taking place somewhere other than where the viewer is, that's really TV. So if you want to Hulu-ize a niche interest group, you should at least do the commercial build-up, sell targeted commercial space on the feed, and endorse two-way engagement via an online platform.

Maybe we should talk, this is kinda' hard to explain on a forum.

• I love dropping Paranomia (Max Hedroom)-Art of Noise, into sets now and again. I fully agree with your comments. I've done Mixlr and the chat room element helps but it isn't the same.

• Yeah, I once this idea was golden back when DSL could effectively stream Traktor over Icecast. It's like DJing from a radio station, how have no two-way communication.

I tried again with VRML and webcams, and later, Second Life, where at least you had text and voice chat from people, but again, not being there really matters. It's more of a gimmick than it is useful.

• Luke Suring says:

I actually used some visuals of Max during our show on Chew this last weekend.

5. Mike WoW says:

I use http://vjstream.tv they have no reencoding of the stream so it's the same quality you broadcast at. It's also free

• @chewofficial says:

Hey Mike - we re-encode our DJs' streams into various bitrates (like YouTube do) so viewers can watch at any bitrate their connection allows. You can watch in full 1080 HD all the way down to audio-only on mobile!

6. I watched a few minutes of 4-5 of the DJ's. I was hoping to find something to enhance my skills. What I got was guys spending 3 minutes playing with a track in Cue only to screw up the transition. The DJs that were good didn't have an angle where you could see what they were really doing. I thought about doing a video to show what I do, then I question if I want the world to see my technique?

7. Luke Suring says:

We have been broadcasting on Chew for a few months now, and while theres a few features that it still needs (viewer count, better chat, better searchable archives, etc) its been fun for sure. We use Resolume to VJ weird footage and gif loops while someone DJs, we figured it would attract a few more viewers having something a little more interesting than just a shot of a decks and hands. To be honest, I hadnt even thought about someone watching for tips, so I will make sure to cut to the cam view a little more often than we do - we can run the cam through the effects too for added flair.

We have asked for the numbers a few times after shows, and we already average more than I did my first few months on dubstep.fm when I started there in '07. I think the site will eventually grow to have a larger base than a lot of internet stations used to, especially when the apps are up and running. Im looking forward to seeing what other DJs and VJs do with visuals and how they setup their shots. Its definitely more user friendly than mixify and more engaging than mixlr, in my opinion.

Check us out if you're interested in how we do it - chew.com/grit

-KidLogic

8. Blade Sparx says:

I have been looking for a reliable service that does not make it a major project to set up a synced audio/video feed and at a decent resolution. On first review the archives are already buffering a lot and there does not seem to be a search feature for live vs archived genres. I could not find a live feed to test. I think once they get out of Beta there is a potential to attract higher end DJs. Too few samples of amateurs only and a lot of reading to do to get started.

• Luke Suring says:

For the newer shows you can search the tags, and tbh Ive never had an issue with the archives buffering from our shows, even watching on my DSL connection at home.

9. I want to say this is an approach at trying to replace TV / Radio shows with "my very own DJ show" streaming content. I think where this approach really falls down is in the actual entertainment area. Few DJs are actually entertaining enough to watch, and when you compound the issue with short attention-spans and "monkey see, monkey is convinced monkey can do better", it's almost a sure-fire platform for becoming self-irrelevant because people are convinced of their own importance. If someone got busy making compelling content, and maybe even a show that resembled American Bandstand or Soul Train, then yeah, this might work.

10. I think the real upside of this type of service is that you can mix without worrying about the copyright police taking down your video like they do at YouTube. If it's only played once live in the mix than there's no reason to take it down.

11. John Carter says:

I started off back to the front by using Ustream and Livestream with webcam I now do internet radio without the webcam and I find it better. Using webcam I found it to be more of a hassle and a chance of more to go wrong. So I find it's better to stream just the music without the webcam gimmick.