In this week’s Friday Five, we’re leading with a piece from Electronic Beats that lists some of the greatest dance culture movies ever made (spoiler: Zach Efron’s film didn’t make the cut). We’ve also got pieces from Music Radar, Rolling Stone, The Guardian and Digital Music News. Have a good weekend ahead!
- 10 Dance Music Films To Watch This Weekend – Binge watch these heady rave-fuelled movies to get you in the mood for a big night out (or big night in, if you prefer). Electronic Beats has it Read the article
- Kissy Sell Out’s Guide To Becoming A Better DJ – Five top tips from the high-flying performance DJ for improving your skills behind the decks. Music Radar has it Read the article
- Why Pop Radio Sounds More Familiar Than Ever – Using lyrics and melodies from older songs isn’t a new practice, but it’s all over top 40 radio and chart playlists. Find out more about the songwriting practice known as “interpolation” in this Rolling Stone piece Read the article
- Too Much Raving Is Bad For You – A Berghain weekend’s got nothing on this. Read up on what could very well be the world’s longest, and most bizarre, dance party in human history – centuries before drum machines were invented. The Guardian has it Read the article
- Uber Drivers Make More Than The Average Musician – A new report by the Music Industry Research Association has revealed that musicians in the US make US$21,000 annually compared to the US$30,000 that Uber drivers take home. Digital Music News has it Read the article
Comment on any of the articles in the section below.